This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling sound with aptX Adaptive

SmallPhoneNRG
Visitor

I have run into what appears to be a common issue with a crackling or popping sound whenever I listen to music using headphones that support aptX Adaptive.  It is worst when songs are louder or are very busy.

One thing I haven't seen reported is that this only happens for me when using YouTube Music.  I tried a free trial of Amazon's Ultra HD and did not experience this at all even when using aptX Adaptive.

Unfortunately I prefer YouTube Music and can't justify another service that costs the same with fewer perks.  For the last couple months I've been switching codecs in the Developer options to regular aptX.

But I think I may have found the cure: set the Audio Wizard equalizer to "music", and set all frequency bands to -1.  Ever since I did this I have had zero popping issues.

I think YouTube Music and some other streamers are doing some processing to the audio that makes it louder (which makes it sound better in direct comparisons).  YT Music is noticeably louder than Amazon Music.

There must be some kind of signal processing bug in their code when converting the data into the aptX Adaptive format.  The EQ settings seem to be applied before your volume setting, so even with a flat lower EQ you can crank the volume to make up for it.

To others suffering from this I would definitely test out lowering all bands in the EQ, and also check out Amazon Music (free trial) to see if that works for you.

0 REPLIES 0