Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-C video output

trm
Star I
System: Windows 11
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Zenbook UX533FD (i7 8565U; 16GB; GTX 1050 MaxQ)
Frequency of occurrence: Everytime
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
Hello everyone,
I've recently purchased an USB-C to HDMI cable in order to plug my laptop to an external 4k monitor (HDMI is capped at 30Hz as it is only HDMI 1.4).
According to the tech specs page of this laptop, I'm supposedly able to get video output from the USB-C port. However, every time I plug the cable, I just hear some strange noises from the speakers and a Windows notification telling me the laptop can't charge using the USB-C port. The external screen remains blank and reports no signal.
I was able to test the cable with another device (a Microsoft Surface Go 2) and it worked flawlessly. I've also tried different versions of the Intel display drivers (both the most up to date version from Intel as well as the most up to date version from ASUS) and the result is the same with both versions.
Can anyone confirm that this laptop (ZenBook UX533FD) does actually support video output over the USB-C port?
Thank you very much in advance.
And Happy holidays!
Best,
trm
3 REPLIES 3

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Trm,
The Type C port is exporting DisplayPort signal, instead of Thunderbolt or HDMI.
Thank you.

trm
Star I
Dear Blake,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I just checked and it appears that the cable I purchased is indeed Thunderbolt based, rather than DisplayPort based, even though it mentions being compatible with DisplayPort Alternate mode. But maybe this is not the correct specification.
As I'm getting a bit confused with all the different video output formats, is there any particular cable or adapter that ASUS recomends to ensure full compatibility?
Thank you very much in advance,
Best,
trm

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello trm,
Sorry, there is no official recommendation on this.
There should be an icon beside your Type C port for you to identify the bandwidth and exporting signal.
[Notebook] How to determine the function of USB Type-C ? | Official Support | ASUS GlobalThank you.