This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitLocker Recovery - turned on by itself?

Pal_schaathun
Star II
System: UX581GV
Frequency of occurrence: Always
========================
Detailed description:
b45818da-4625-4e2f-a838-1e63a3e94c6c.jpeg
Suddenly one morning after 11 months without troubles I cannot access my ASUS laptop anymore as it just decided to shut me out with BitLocker recovery. Microsoft support tells me all my files will now be lost. I don’t have a 48 digit PIN as I never set up or asked for a BitLocker activation on my system. And, no, there is no pin on my account @ MS either.
I am really amazed and disappointed by ASUS/Microsoft now
6 REPLIES 6

Rick242
Star I

Hi, guys... I had this happen a couple of weeks after purchasing my ASUS Zenbook Pro 16x. I wiggled my mouse to get everything running and there was the "bluescreen of death" (you older guys will remember the original), saying my C Drive was corrupt and prompting me to enter my bitlocker key. A week ago or so before that, I had shrunk the C Drive and created a D and E drive. Nothing unusual happened during that process. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve my bitlocker for that drive (yes, I had keys already with Microsoft for the two new partitions.). After entering the key and a bit of a wait, the C Drive was working and all seems fine. I didn't even know bitlocker had encrypted any of the drives. I just assumed they came that way as a security "feature".

This is a bit worrisome, as this is a brand new, almost $3,000 laptop. 

@Rick242
This is Microsoft's mechanism; it will be triggered if there are any hardware modifications. If you have further questions about this mechanism, it is recommended that you provide feedback to Microsoft. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
BitLocker overview