This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VivoBook Flip 14 - Battery installed, but not found

RangerZ
Star I

I have an ASUS TM420U-WS51T (VivoBook Flip 14)

The machine appears to boot normally and then after about 30 seconds turns off.  During boot, the battery indicator icon alternates between a charging indicator and then an empty battery with an X in it.  Once booted the Battery indicator does not show in the system tray nor is it available in Settings => Preferences.

Things I know or have tried

• In device Manager, the ACPI driver is not shown, but can be seen when hidden\non-present devices are enabled. It can be deleted and returns after next boot, but hidden.
  • MyASUS in WinPE indicates the battery is not present. MyASUS in Windows does not offer a battery test.
  • After opening the case and disconnecting the battery cable, the machine works normally.
  • The BIOS is 2.04 but can not be updated without a battery present and a minimum charge value of 20%, though not likely relevant.
  • I have run SFC /scannow and DISM Resotre health. After the former, the machine booted correctly, however after a Windows update it reverted to the prior behavior. I had one other situation where the hardware seemed to behave, but after disconnecting and reconnecting the power it did not.
  • I have tried a hard reset with the power button (hold for 40+ seconds) with no improvement.
  • The PC does NOT crash in the Windows RE environment, but does crash with a Win PE USB attached (Win10XPE).

The battery was running the device for about 6hrs IIRC. It then sat for some time (2-3 mos) and has been problematic since.

The boot behavior and indicators are NOT consistent, in my mind with a failed battery. This typically presents an icon that does not charge and the PC runs normally with power connected.

I am willing to replace the battery, but would like to first validate the battery as the issue.

Does anyone know where\how to purchase this part (ASUS B31N1911).

5 REPLIES 5

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.