This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG PHONE II Screen blackout

sauravshanbhogu
Rising Star II
Screen automatically turns black with no display but the screen still appears to be kinda responsive (can still hear some device sounds and phone does not switch off) when gaming without charger conncted / basic web browsing with charger on. i.e when the phone heats. Having this issue only after new update. Fix this ASAP.
28 REPLIES 28

ronald1985
Community Legend I
If you have a black screen and you can still go back to home screen, that sounds like it is the optimisation of the game. The developers of game does the changes and push these out through Play Store.

KimNicole
Star I
ronald1985

If you have a black screen and you can still go back to home screen, that sounds like it is the optimisation of the game. The developers of game does the changes and push these out through Play Store.

View post
I am pretty sure that this is not a game issue but a heat issue, since i encounter this in any game or just browsing especially when charging on low battery.
I am using the default aerocool case and before a screen blackout occurs, the phone really is on s high temperature. I can feel it especially on my left hand on portrait mode. Followed by an FPS drop, then a screen blackout. And yes, i can still go back home since the touch screen was still responsive, and from that, i relaunch the app. But if the phone temperature doesn't decrease. Then it happens again.
I tried downgrading to android 9 and experience an improvement. But let me test for a week and ill update this thread.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
KimNicole

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/91782#Comment_91782

I am pretty sure that this is not a game issue but a heat issue, since i encounter this in any game or just browsing especially when charging on low battery.

I am using the default aerocool case and before a screen blackout occurs, the phone really is on s high temperature. I can feel it especially on my left hand on portrait mode. Followed by an FPS drop, then a screen blackout. And yes, i can still go back home since the touch screen was still responsive, and from that, i relaunch the app. But if the phone temperature doesn't decrease. Then it happens again.

I tried downgrading to android 9 and experience an improvement. But let me test for a week and ill update this thread.

View post
Yes, do say how it goes when you downgrade.
The heat can be caused by playing and the temperature gets higher when you charge as that is hypercharge taking in effect. My device goes warmish but not hot to handle. While I am typing now and charging, it's around 35 degrees to 37 degrees on both CPU and GPU, but I suspect the warmish feeling comes from the screen. While playing and charging, I can have it 42 to 45 degrees and sometimes higher if I was playing longer and/or in higher room temperature, but I know I needed to take a short break to cool the phone down. This is with aero cooler too.
I guess what I didn't try is playing while on low battery, that's because I cannot finish the battery in one full day. 40 percentage is the least I got to with hours play with some breaks. So I guess I need to go below and see, probably not charging it.

KimNicole
Star I
After downgrading to android 9 from android 10 update. ROG PHONE 2 12G 512GB GLOBAL VERSION.
1. It is evident that the heat produced from all over the phone, literally from the screen, to the sides, and back have been significantly decreased from a noticeable level. Although, the temperature shown in the armoury crate console is pretty much similar before and after the downgrade. My assumption is that, it is possible that it is due to additional process or algorithm that is not working as efficient as possible.
2. Battery life improved a lot, like before. Since after the android 10 update, i've been charging my phone more frequently. But now it is back to normal. One thing I'm sure of is that, the heat from the phone is causing the drain since heat is a form of energy. But if there are other reasons. I don't know yet.
3. The mobile data doesn't fall off anymore due to heating issue. I experienced this from a10 mostly when playing games while charging. Symptoms are when it reaches its peak temperature, the smobile signal indicator turned to X, might be followed by an FPS drop, then a screen black out.
4. The fingerprint unlock is more accurate. I'm not sure if it needs to be registered every after an upgrade. Or is it just me. I haven't tested.
5. The sound quality has improved since I am experiencing issue when in a call and watching a video, it seems that the sound doesn't know where to go. I'm not sure if it is a bug from the phone or from Facebook Messenger or other applications.
6. The status of Game engine like X-Mode, alerts, call, clean mem is shown as before when opening a game. I'm trying to find if there are options to enable/disable this, but I couldn't. Please correct me on this one.
7. The annoying bottom bar when using gesture navigation from android 10 is back to none. Which is a good thing for me since most of the apps on a10 are being pushed up to give way to the button, and having the impression that you are not in full screen.
8. The logo Elite gaming from android 10 when starting the phone is back to Dts X logo. Doesn't really matter.
9. The firmware version shown is "Updated to Android 9" instead of "Android 9" in settings. Not really a big deal.
One thing is for sure, the heating issue is caused by upgrading to a10 since I tried restoring to factory settings in the assumption that it will rollback to a9, but no. The ROM was updated to a10 as well. And after I restored to factory settings which is to a10. The heating issue is still there by just browsing the phone and all. That is why I decided to download the a9 ROM and start from there.
For now, I am satisfied in downgrading. For those who knows how, do it at your own risk, and please give a feedback. Let us help each other and people from ASUS as well.
-Just a simple guy who is willing to help.

sauravshanbhogu
Rising Star II
KimNicole

After downgrading to android 9 from android 10 update. ROG PHONE 2 12G 512GB GLOBAL VERSION.

1. It is evident that the heat produced from all over the phone, literally from the screen, to the sides, and back have been significantly decreased from a noticeable level. Although, the temperature shown in the armoury crate console is pretty much similar before and after the downgrade. My assumption is that, it is possible that it is due to additional process or algorithm that is not working as efficient as possible.

2. Battery life improved a lot, like before. Since after the android 10 update, i've been charging my phone more frequently. But now it is back to normal. One thing I'm sure of is that, the heat from the phone is causing the drain since heat is a form of energy. But if there are other reasons. I don't know yet.

3. The mobile data doesn't fall off anymore due to heating issue. I experienced this from a10 mostly when playing games while charging. Symptoms are when it reaches its peak temperature, the smobile signal indicator turned to X, might be followed by an FPS drop, then a screen black out.

4. The fingerprint unlock is more accurate. I'm not sure if it needs to be registered every after an upgrade. Or is it just me. I haven't tested.

5. The sound quality has improved since I am experiencing issue when in a call and watching a video, it seems that the sound doesn't know where to go. I'm not sure if it is a bug from the phone or from Facebook Messenger or other applications.

6. The status of Game engine like X-Mode, alerts, call, clean mem is shown as before when opening a game. I'm trying to find if there are options to enable/disable this, but I couldn't. Please correct me on this one.

7. The annoying bottom bar when using gesture navigation from android 10 is back to none. Which is a good thing for me since most of the apps on a10 are being pushed up to give way to the button, and having the impression that you are not in full screen.

8. The logo Elite gaming from android 10 when starting the phone is back to Dts X logo. Doesn't really matter.

9. The firmware version shown is "Updated to Android 9" instead of "Android 9" in settings. Not really a big deal.

One thing is for sure, the heating issue is caused by upgrading to a10 since I tried restoring to factory settings in the assumption that it will rollback to a9, but no. The ROM was updated to a10 as well. And after I restored to factory settings which is to a10. The heating issue is still there by just browsing the phone and all. That is why I decided to download the a9 ROM and start from there.

For now, I am satisfied in downgrading. For those who knows how, do it at your own risk, and please give a feedback. Let us help each other and people from ASUS as well.

-Just a simple guy who is willing to help.

View post
Hello
I have the ROG II 8/128 GB ( the only option I had while buying) purchased around Jan end.
1. The screen blackout/phone shutdown issue is a hardware issue and not a software one. My phone worked fine when I updated to A10 . And let me tell you the battery backup between A9 and A10 is only 30min (max 1hr) . You feel that it has a better backup simply because you have no apps installed on your phone rn because of the reset.
Although 120hz is more smooth in A9 because for some reason the gestures/animation aren't that optimised even after the update.
2. I personally have reverted back to A9 two times . First time being simply because early A10 build was slightly buggy. And 2nd ofcourse after this issue. And currently I am on the latest A10. I downgraded to right away after I started facing this issue i.e around may 17. That makes it more than 1 month of using A9 with this issue
3. This particular issue is caused simply when the device reaches a certain temp, which is 42°c in my case when I was on A10 before. When you're gaming(if you do) the screen goes black preventing you to play the game further .so no further heatup = no shutdown. But the same cannot be said in the case of hyper charging ,by that I mean heating doesn't stop and hence device turns off.
4. The funny part is that I thought A9 will fix the issue ( assuming that this is a simple software issue ). But unfortunately it not the case and only solution is "repair/replacement"
PUBG in A10 - black screen triggers at 42°
PUBG in A9- black screen at 40°
See there is literally no advantages of using A9🤷
Pros of using outdated A9
The chances of shutdown during "charging only" is slightly reduced and by slightly I mean it ain't even noticeable 🤷
Also my friend all of your observations are made on a fresh , reset device with significantly lesser apps.
And yes first I reset the phone running A10> down to A9 > 'reset again'>1month usage still issue persists> back on A10.