This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?

DZHEX
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: AI2201_C
Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.
img-20220915-204410.jpg
img-20220915-204403.jpg
The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?
I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.
Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.
Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.
59 REPLIES 59

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
DZHEX

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228889#Comment_228889

I didn't go for it because I was told that sonys were RMAd often compared to other brands. Also, the cameras were perhaps a bit too professional. Otherwise, it seemed to get the most right. However, it seems that the RMA thing seems to be more on the ROG phone's side...

I have been using asus motherboard and GPUs, and have gotten an overall good impression about the hardware... and I do actually like me some of that gamer bling 😅

View post
The phones only got RMA'ed because people thought it was a hardware issue, after the latest update the overheating issue has been resolved.
On the ASUS side, you are guaranteed to have a hardware failure. Buy the bling, get an unreliable phone that breaks on you again and again until you get a 400USD bill for logicboard repair. This camera module failure is just the beginning, much like on the Rog5 the broken wifi was just the beginning.
Danishblunt

notagain.jpg

For the Rog2 people this is going to be a dejavu.

And the power IC Saga continues on the Rog5!
But by all means, sent it to repair so you can wait a month or so, then after it breaks again and youll have to pay big money I'll remind you of your stupid decision to keep it.
The normal reaction should be -> people warn us from hardware defect -> I buy against their recommendation -> i experience hardware failure -> I realize I was dumb to not listen -> learn from mistake.
But contrary to logic, me and @FunBike31 have to keep wonder why the stupidity of the userbase is so vast that they keep buying the same devices over and over again, expecting, this time it will be different, despite them being warned of issues that the previous generation had. You would think that they would learn after the Rog2, but no, they keep buying.
Maybe you like being threated like sht, there are fetishes out there that I don't understand, so who am I to judge.

DZHEX
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228918#Comment_228918

The phones only got RMA'ed because people thought it was a hardware issue, after the latest update the overheating issue has been resolved.

On the ASUS side, you are guaranteed to have a hardware failure. Buy the bling, get an unreliable phone that breaks on you again and again until you get a 400USD bill for logicboard repair. This camera module failure is just the beginning, much like on the Rog5 the broken wifi was just the beginning.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62659/and-the-power-ic-saga-continues-on-the-rog5

But by all means, sent it to repair so you can wait a month or so, then after it breaks again and youll have to pay big money I'll remind you of your stupid decision to keep it.

The normal reaction should be -> people warn us from hardware defect -> I buy against their recommendation -> i experience hardware failure -> I realize I was dumb to not listen -> learn from mistake.

But contrary to logic, me and @FunBike31 have to keep wonder why the stupidity of the userbase is so vast that they keep buying the same devices over and over again, expecting, this time it will be different, despite them being warned of issues that the previous generation had. You would think that they would learn after the Rog2, but no, they keep buying.

Maybe you like being threated like sht, there are fetishes out there that I don't understand, so who am I to judge.

View post
ok, you kinda went off the rails there
I did actually try to search "ROG 5 long term" and "rog phone problem", but failed to find anything, so I bought it, thinking it was a good, lasting device. GG.
I will ask for a refund before I hand it in, and I have a backup phone now, which I'm migrating to. When I called to ask about the warranty process, they said I have to bring it in and it will get either replaced or repaired. If the issue happens again, they'd do the same, and if it happens for the third time, then I'd be able to get my money back. Hopefully there will be some shortcut so I can go for the sony instead before having to kill 2 more ROGs, which might take months of time, not to mention the stress of having basically a "temporary" phone.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
DZHEX

1. Model Name: AI2201_C
  2. Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
  3. Rooted or not: not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.

img-20220915-204410.jpg

img-20220915-204403.jpg

The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?

I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.

Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?
The same problem was just posted.
https://zentalk.asus.com/zh/discussion/63184/%E5%BE%8C%E7%BD%AE%E9%8F%A1%E9%A0%AD%E7%95%B0%E5%B8 %B8#latest

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
DZHEX

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228975#Comment_228975

ok, you kinda went off the rails there

I did actually try to search "ROG 5 long term" and "rog phone problem", but failed to find anything, so I bought it, thinking it was a good, lasting device. GG.

I will ask for a refund before I hand it in, and I have a backup phone now, which I'm migrating to. When I called to ask about the warranty process, they said I have to bring it in and it will get either replaced or repaired. If the issue happens again, they'd do the same, and if it happens for the third time, then I'd be able to get my money back. Hopefully there will be some shortcut so I can go for the sony instead before having to kill 2 more ROGs, which might take months of time, not to mention the stress of having basically a "temporary" phone.

View post
ROG Phone 5I mean I don't even need to point any specific topic, the subforum speaks for itself.
Sadly the problem is that the power IC usually fails little over a year, which REALLY sucks because warranty wont cover it, here some examples:
Leomard

1. Model Name:Rog 5
  2. Firmware Version: Android 12, .114
  3. Rooted or not:no
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: continuous

Hello guys, on September 16 my phone suddenly switched off and when I turned on my speakers were gone and wifi tends to work partially, I tried multiple restarts but nothing seems to work!!, And now the phone is lagging and randomly restarts it self literally I have to do multiple attempts to switch on the phone, I don't know what should I do and I bought this last year on August, it's didn't even last past 1year 15 days, Asus India do something, i purchased it with my hard earned money, not dropped even by mistake also, took good care of it but!! What can I say , Asus India value your customers we trust you and your products, atleast don't play with your customers Asus India and this is my only phone with me

Phone randomly restart wifi doesn't work properly & Speaker stopped working entirely ,phone lagging
Some were fortnuate enough for it to happen within warranty:
ItsMeCHG

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 5
  2. Firmware Version: WW-31.0810.1226.114
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: 2-3 times in last 30 Days
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

Previously i had wifi issues but resetting network settings used to fix it for a while.

Today it just died while i was playing game on it. Battery was well over 75%, still connecting charger didn't help. Its not turning on at all.

Still under warranty though.

ROG Phone 5 sudden shutdown and not turning on
Others were quoted higher price for repair than the actual phone when it was new:
balaji S

1. Model Name:Rog 5
  2. Firmware Version:
  3. Rooted or not: not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:

Hey Asus 

I bought Rog 5 on 22-05-2021 from Flipkart and I got phone on 24-05-2021

After 14 months of using the phone 

09-09-2022 Phone shutdown automatically and after that it is not turning on, i reached ASUS call center to get authorized service center details in Chennai , after got the service center details, I went to F1 INFOSOLUTIONS & SERVICES PVT LTD service center and paid 250 for diagnosis the root cause, after diagnosis they said motherboard is dead and sent me the quotation of 57381.76 Rs(Phone price 49999 Rs) and after 1hr time again service center person send quotation for 17k for display(wrong diagnosis) few min after they said to ignore display quotation , on checking Asus forum many people reporting the motherboard issue and saying it is an manufacturing fault. I want Asus to replace my motherboard free of cost.. they saying Rog is an premium phone but it is not survive for 1 year

Phone automatically shutdown and not turning on
It's a nice lottery ticket to find out when the phone is going to die. I still have hopes that the Rog6D might finally be the one that stops dying on its own.

DZHEX
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/229044#Comment_229044

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/categories/rog5-ww

I mean I don't even need to point any specific topic, the subforum speaks for itself.

Sadly the problem is that the power IC usually fails little over a year, which REALLY sucks because warranty wont cover it, here some examples:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/64065/phone-randomly-restart-wifi-doesnt-work-properly-speake...

Some were fortnuate enough for it to happen within warranty:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63854/rog-phone-5-sudden-shutdown-and-not-turning-on

Others were quoted higher price for repair than the actual phone when it was new:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63971/phone-automatically-shutdown-and-not-turning-on

It's a nice lottery ticket to find out when the phone is going to die. I still have hopes that the Rog6D might finally be the one that stops dying on its own.

View post
If some BS starts happening, I will try to get consumer protection agency involved. I did not root it nor did I open or smash it, so there will have to be some pretty epic legal gymnastics to do if they want to refuse the warranty.
Also a legit GG moment: the price of the xperia 1 iv in that store just jumped from 1200 to 1400 euros (someone apparently bought one today). So I guess I will instead have to get money back, as that price already feels too high for me, headphones or not... especially when I'm seeing other stores still at 1200.
or hope that by the time they contact me about the problem, the price will be back to a more sane level.