rubel123kiran
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: asus rog 3
Firmware Version: new version
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: everytimr
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I'm facing a very heavy black crush display on my device can u please solve that issue cause when ever I see some horror or other dark movies this makes very awkward and loose intrest in seeing that clips, picture or any other videos.
screenshot-20201027-223313369.jpg
Even though I updated my mobile I'm facing this problem please look into this problem thank you
35 REPLIES 35

GODPOSEIDON
Star I
Does blackcrush Issue be solved???

aguo1882
Star III
mohammed98221

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/128847#Comment_128847

So I've set it to 144hz and 60% brightness and here's what I get:

The first pic is with 'Disable HW overlays' turned off as is the default case.

pxl-20201030-185139864.jpg

The next one is with 'Disable HW overlays' turned on. This setting seems to make it much worse.

pxl-20201030-185315217.jpg

One thing to note is the low quality of the video. There's already certain amount of graininess. However, the he overlays' setting makes it almost unwatchable. The first pic looks better to my eyes than it appears on camera.

I have my screen refresh set to auto and don't have 'Disable HW overlays' turned on. Most of the time I don't see anything like what's shown in the second pic.

View post
What quality do you have that at? That is very different to what appears on my device.
I played that video side by side with the S20 Ultra. The ROG Phone 3 had more black crush, but with disable HW overlay enabled, it is hardly noticeable.
sam-0042-jpg.jpg
sam-0046-jpg.jpg
sam-0051-jpg.jpg

aguo1882
Star III
GODPOSEIDON

Does blackcrush Issue be solved???

View post
Have you tried enabling Disable HW overlays in Developer options? That seem to solve it for me.

rubel123kiran
Star III
.99 updated made more black crush

Farly
Star I
I want to give some insight to the support team at Asus (if they haven't figured out this yet, though I doubt it), is that this black crush issue is probably because of HDR10+ display this phone has. I compared the video playback quality on my Samsung A5 2017 (has AMOLED screen) and my ROG Phone 3 by playing the newest Batman trailer. The black on my A5 is fully black (meaning the OLED went off) while on ROG it was grey, and probably because the display's showing whole lot of color, that it detects the grey color instead of black. I was wondering if the HDR can be turned off while playing video, I prefer if there is an option to turn it on/off. It was really disappointing that a flagship phone like ROG 3 has inferior video playback quality compared to my old A5 2017.
While at it, the screen refresh rate should be capped at 60 fps, because why would you watch videos on 144hz anyway. The video we're viewing is capped at 24, 30, or 60 fps, so there's no need for high refresh rate on video playback.