Deztructiv
Star II
System: Windows 10 home
Battery or AC: AC, so far
Model: GA503QM
Frequency of occurrence: Upon wake from sleep and during heavy usage
Reset OS: Started after factory reset
========================
Detailed description: The fans on my new laptop were stuck at ~5400RPM (Both GPU and CPU, according to armory crate) after it was factory reset by the seller before purchase. It stayed this way the entire way through the setup process and remained after it was complete. I restarted the PC after setup to no avail. I updated everything I could find in MYAsus, Armory Crate and Windows Update. This included a bios update and updates to many drivers. After this it still persisted. I gave up and shut the PC down. After rebooting the PC the fans were operating normally. This was fine until I installed and started a game on the PC, after a while in the game the fans again went back to ~5400RPM and remained for hours after all applications had been closed and temperatures were low again. This same behavior, I have now discovered occurs after restoring from sleep as well. The only way to resolve this behavior is to "Shutdown" the PC and start it again, "Restart" does not help. I have looked in armory crate and MYAsus for settings. MYAsus points me to armory crate. In Armory Crate the profiles work well so long as the fans haven't gone into overdrive and the fans adjust accordingly. Even the max speed setting turbo has only reached 4200RPM fan speed for me so far. Once the fans take off to ~5400RPM the laptop stops responding to any profile changes in Armory crate. I have opened the UEFI to check for settings there but have not found any fan related settings available.
I have noticed online several other Asus laptops have this issue or something like it, even on this forum.
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/170194#Comment_170194
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/47539/fan-speed-100-from-startup-but-myasus-says-the-fan-is-o...
Most fixes suggest 3rd party fan control software to override whatever software is going rogue with the fan speed. Which I can do, but I feel like this should not be necessary just to control fans on a new laptop. Others suggest opening the laptop and reseating cables, which I am comfortable doing but would like to know about any warranty implications before doing so?
I am prepared to take it back to the seller but they have no more boxed new PC's. From what I can tell from reading online this issue seems to be triggered after the first factory reset or after a bios update. So I will either be given a floor model (which will get factory reset) with the same issue. Or they will send it for repair, where all they will likely do is preform a factory reset shut it down and reboot and call the issue fixed only for it to reoccur as soon as I get it back. I have been down this route before and it is long and arduous and I would like to see if there is a possible software fix before I do this?
10 REPLIES 10

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Can you provide a video of the issue?
The video should include which mode, the fan RPM, CPU and GPU status, and what app or program is running.
Thank you very much.

Deztructiv
Star II
Hi Blake,
I have attached a video of Armory crate while its happening.
The screen turned off while I went to the kitchen for 10 min and within 10 seconds of waking up it started.
I have a browser with 10 tabs open, including a couple YT videos and I opened armory crate after it started that's it.
I apologize, I thought it was ~5400RPM, seems its actually 6400RPM as you see in the video.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
was the lid close when you leave the device?
In the video, looks like the Armoury Crate is stuck, because the CPU status or others would change when you switch mode.
Would you mind to enter BIOS, and load default setting again.
And also enter safe mode to see if similar situation happen?
Thank you.

Deztructiv
Star II
Hi,
Lid was left open when this occurred. I not sure if the PC goes to sleep when I close the lid as the screen comes up almost instantly when I open it again. I've taken to putting the computer to sleep before I close the lid as the setting in power options to choose what closing the lid does doesn't show up or no longer exists.
Once it starts it doesn't seem to matter what happens in armory crate. I'd say some other process has completely taken over control.
I'll see if I have some free time to start the PC in safe mode and run it for a bit. Usually when I'm on the computer because I have to use it and safe mode makes several things difficult. Additionally it's not guaranteed to happen and the trigger is just becoming more elusive. Yesterday it was sitting on the desk with the screen off possibly sleeping as I hadn't used it in at least 15 min and the fans just kicked off at full tilt as I watched it from across the room.
After this happened I shutdown and loaded the UEFI/bios to default, had a look after and I couldn't see any any settings that had changed. I'm now waiting to see if this has any impact.