This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenWiFi XD5 problems

ttann
Star I

I've got the RT-AC86U with 3 nodes (XD5 AX3000). A couple of weeks ago, everything was operating together alright. We started noticing issues with our network, slow speeds, dropped internet connection, and at times I was not able to even log into my router through the mobile app while connected to the network. I did see that there was a vulnerability discovered, however, it seems that I was late to the show and did not install the latest update until early-mid October. Since then, I've reset everything to factory settings, tried to improve security with built-in settings, and disabled remote connection. The router now works fine, even better than a couple of weeks ago, however, I cannot get the nodes to connect again for an AiMesh network. I have reset the nodes to factory default, I have also attempted to place them in rescue mode to install the firmware update. The update does not fully install through a Windows 10 machine. It will sometimes connect and then fail before completion. I feel like there is a setting or step that I'm missing somewhere, however, I've tried to follow every instruction.

Any advice or tips on things to try to re-establish my AiMesh Network?

3 REPLIES 3

jzchen
Rising Star II

RT-AC86U is AC while the XD5 is AX, (newer).  I would set one of the XD5 as main router, connect it to the modem/ONT, and try to add the rest as nodes including the RT-AC86U…

EDIT-  I found a review on Amazon where “Charles” could not add XD5s as nodes to an RT-AX86U.  It seems that the latest firmware update(s) to the XD5 may have inadvertently disabled their ability to be nodes to other ASUS routers.  In your case the XD5 is the higher spec router so it’s still best to use one as a primary router anyways…

Coefficient
Star I

Hello.

Can somebody explain me how to connect ZenWifi XD5?

I have two nodes, and sockets with ethernet connections in my flat. So I would like to connect each node directly with cable to get internet signal, and not just one. Naturally, I want that devices switch to a node with the best signal as I move through flat.. What is connection scheme?

I have to assume the “sockets with Ethernet connections” all run to a centralized network switch.

You’d then connect one XD5’s WAN/LAN combo port to your modem or ONT, connect the LAN port to the “socket” in the wall.  In the other room connect the wall socket to the WAN/LAN port on the 2nd XD5.  If you have a 3rd XD5 you’d repeat connecting it’s WAN/LAN port to yet another wall socket…

I personally have 5 nodes (plus the main router), so you can keep adding as you wish/need to to cover dead zones.