This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XT8 and BT 1G Fibre

JohnG
Star I

I have just had a full BT full fibre installation and Using XT8 hub PPPoE  connection.  I am seeing internet loss of connection, dropped packets. BT blame the third party hub. The hub shows lease expired and renewing permanently.

Is there any default setting I can use to correct this problem. An ICMP ping monitor using the DDNS url also show spikes of high latency and dropped packets.

Will this router work with a direct connection to full fibre? How do I explain the BT/Openreach it's their problem and not ASUS, or is it the router.  I never had this problem with virgin. The only fix is to manually reboot the ASUS router and I cannot live with that.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jzchen
Zen Master I

Please look on the XT8 ASUS label or box for Version #, then verify you have the latest BIOS:

https://www.asus.com/uk/networking-iot-servers/whole-home-mesh-wifi-system/zenwifi-wifi-systems/asus...

Note the difference in size based on Ver 1 or 2, so please make sure you get the correct one.

I have since read that PPPoE connections are single login IP assigned on each login.  That would explain why there is no lease. The Router and two other nodes are all on automatic upgrade. Last upgrade 2023/12/09 3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5 the latest bios. 

I really need a test to prove it is the ISP network and not the router. There must be a reason for so many dropped packets. My internal network ping results show no packet loss. The external traffic monitor show three drops, the red lines 100% packet loss. The logs have hundreds of dropped packets so I think the router just re-connects with a new IP. I am using the dddns url to monitor the IP.

jzchen
Zen Master I

One way I’ve dealt with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the past, way back when you paid per device, was to clone the MAC address of the original device set up to use the service.  If for example they have a router they provide you then clone that MAC, or if it is a PC clone that MAC address.  (They are able to see that a different thing is connected but may not notice for a while.  This is IF you are concerned it is trouble caused by the ISP).

1 Gig service shouldn’t be sensitive to Ethernet cable quality but may be worth a look into, if for example you have a spare to just swap in might as well try…

I have done more tests.
I conclude from tests 1,2,3  that there is not a problem, except that using the ASUS ddns may introduce some packet loss. test 4,  shows considerably less dropped packets . When using a pppoe connection to the WAN the XT8 reports on significant packet loss. The question is why?  is expected behaviour? See LOG

EXTERNAL WAN NETWORK TESTS
1) Two external monitors using  the ASUS ddns url to the router.  Both show some packet loss
2) One monitor using the public IP address showing very little packet loss
3) Monitors at DSLreports no packet loss
4) Connecting the XT8 to the BTHub and using automatic local WAN IP configuration, very little packet loss
5) have pinged the router from my LAN and show no packet loss