cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XT12 wired backhaul issue

jcsurrey
Star I

Hi all

I have a pair of XT12s and an XT9 in a mesh network.

My Sky modem/router is connected to a switch which feeds the main XT12, the second XT12 is connected to the mesh by wifi and the XT9 by an ethernet cable connected to the router (they're in the same room).

This all works ok but I thought I'd try running a cable from the switch out of a wall around the house back in on the other side and into the second XT12 to make that a wired backhaul too.

When I did that, two things happened.

1.  The ASUS app on my phone showed the LAN port on the second XT12 as unplugged and the connection as only OK  (looked like it was still connecting wirelessly). 

and

2. The whole network stopped working for some reason, became very slow and unresponsive and only improved when I unplugged the long ethernet cable and restarted.

I tested the cat6 cable and it is wired correctly but possibly the length is a factor here (not quite sure how long it is but it's pretty long).

It's not a disaster for me to leave things as they were but I would prefer to have a wired connection if possible.

I thought I might try plugging the long cable into a powered switch in that room which could then feed the XT12 as well as a smart TV and camera in that room. 

Thoughts on what might have caused the problem and whether my proposed alternative might work?

Many thanks

0 REPLIES 0