This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed at router (RT-AX88U Pro) is as expected, speed at all computers and phones is slow

WeyldFalcon
Star I
  1. My router (RT-AX88U Pro) clocks my internet connection speed at around 1.4Gbps
  2. My 2 wired desktops and my laptop clock around .45Gbps
  3. My cell phone on wifi clocks around .62Gbps (not surprising)
  4. I have 1G NICs on all my hardware except my main computer which is a 2.5G
  5. I am using Cat6 cable
  6. I turned off QoS
  7. I am running Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_33308
  8. If I run speed test on 3 systems (2 desktops and phone) I can get the Download Bandwidth monitor to jump up to 1.4Gbps but not on a single machine.
  9. What could be causing this throttling?
  10. Follow-up question why are my wired machines getting slower downloads than my wireless cellphone?
16 REPLIES 16

jzchen
Zen Master I

QoS is the only setting that I've seen/I'm aware cause throttling like you are experiencing on the router side.  When it happened to be on I had no idea how it got turned on even, so it would be good to check the settings (again) just to be sure.

Another thing you may try is to revert to an older firmware version and retest.  (It could be the firmware/BIOS has a bug).

WeyldFalcon_0-1718288027459.png

turned it on and then back off again. same speed either way. It is almost like the bandwidth limiter is stuck on.

If this started soon after a firmware update, you may want to try a hard/factory reset...

Brand new router, although honestly, I updated the firmware when I got it, so I don't know what the version before was. You are suggesting finding an earlier version of the firmware?
Do you have a version of the software you advise?

When updating the firmware sometimes there is a bug, almost like a pointer is off (if you've had some programming experience), so if I personally notice buggy behavior afterwards, I'll eventually resort to hard resetting.

Some people on forums have reported reverting back to a prior firmware to fix issues as well...

These are a couple of things to try since you suspect the source of the issue is the router.