This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-BE96U - IoT Network

DwayneR
Visitor

After  recent update, I enabled a IoT network, but during that time I configured it to use the same VLAN as my existing network.... Silly I know.

I would like to delete the IoT network or reconfigure it to use a separate isolated VLAN but the router does not allow you to do this. You cannot delete the network and you cannot reconfigure it outside of changing the name or password. 

Besides a hard reset, any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

PRoebuck
Visitor

Just use one of the guest WiFi networks for this purpose. Login to your router, and select "Guest Network" from the "General" menu on the left. Under the 2.4GHz area, use the following fields (quotes should NOT be entered):

• Network Name (SSID): "House LANister"
  • Authentication: WPA2-Personal
  • Network Key: "AlwaysPaysItsDebts"
  • Time Remaining: Unlimited access

Change the WiFi network name and key (aka, password) as desired. Enable once satisfied to complete.

Keep in mind that by making this change you will typically be locked out as well as it's no longer your home WiFi network either. Most home automation apps (e.g., "Home" on iPhone) will by default be connected via 5GHz to your home WiFi network, not this one. As such, attempting home automation after moving devices to this new IoT network  via cell phone is no longer simple or easy.