cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an upgrade to RT-AX55

KG49
Star III

Hi,

The RT-AX55 has been working for my network but I need to improve coverage in part of the house. I'm considering using this model as a node in a mesh network and finding an upgrade for the main unit.

Any suggestions for a more recent model with enhanced capability at a reasonable price point would be appreciated.

Also, could I upload the config file from the current router to a newer model so that I can retain my DDNS and VPN settings?

Than you!

7 REPLIES 7

jzchen
Rising Star II

Yes from BIOS 3.0.0.4.388.23285 you should be able to transfer DDNS, see more here:

https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

As far as I know you can save the configuration settings from Broadcom to Broadcom which I just confirmed they are both Broadcom CPUs.  Since you already have an AX/WiFi 6 router should be no issues.  I saw someone move from an AC to AX router and had WPA 2 to WPA 3 issue, but easily resolved....

KG49
Star III

FYI

Using the config file from RT-AX55 on the RT-86U Pro worked well. However, I should have deregistered the DDNS first on the AX-55. None of the instructions provided by ASUS for transferring the DDNS registration worked. I had to give ASUS all of the old and new router info and wait a week. They didn't transfer the registration as expected, just released it from the old router. At least activating the registration on the new router was easy.

jzchen
Rising Star II

I’m sorry to read that it would not transfer without prior deregistration of the RT-AX55, and that you had to wait a week for them to deregister your DDNS.  I guess they couldn’t auto register your AX86U Pro for security reasons, someone could use the method to gain access to your system, but they should have clarified that to you.

I had assumed all AX (WiFi 6) routers eventually got updated to 3.0.0.4.388.xxxxx firmware, which I further assumed would be later than 3.0.0.4.388.22715.  I completely missed that the latest firmware release of the RT-AX55 is currently 3.0.0.4.386.52041, which fails to meet the criteria.  The fact that both old and new routers need higher firmware than …388.22715 for the app to make the transfer simple was not clearly stated I’m afraid, but was implied by greyed text at the bottom of my linked article denoted with an * and Note.  I hope they may move that to the top and bold it.  That would be a better warning.

I hope it is up and running now and that you are able to access administrative settings/monitoring while away?