cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an upgrade to RT-AX55

KG49
Star III

Hi,

The RT-AX55 has been working for my network but I need to improve coverage in part of the house. I'm considering using this model as a node in a mesh network and finding an upgrade for the main unit.

Any suggestions for a more recent model with enhanced capability at a reasonable price point would be appreciated.

Also, could I upload the config file from the current router to a newer model so that I can retain my DDNS and VPN settings?

Than you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jzchen
Rising Star II

I have the RT-AX86U.  This Pro version is newer.  It’s very close to your upper price limit but this is the cheapest I could find and I believe free ground shipping:

https://www.beachaudio.com/asus-rt-ax86upro-rt-ax86u-pro-dual-band-wf6perp-quad-core-2-0g-cpu-2-5g-p...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jzchen
Rising Star II

If you specify a price (range) that would be very helpful to what you mean as “reasonable?”

Also might help if you will use wireless or Ethernet backhaul?

KG49
Star III

Hi jzchen,

I will use ethernet backhaul.

A form factor that will hang on a wall like the RT-AX55 would be nice, but not a showstopper.

I'm looking for better range, speed, cpu, memory and newer than RT-AX55 which is available for $70. Up to about $200.

It's hard to decipher the model names to determine what is more recent and more capable.

Thanks 

jzchen
Rising Star II

I have the RT-AX86U.  This Pro version is newer.  It’s very close to your upper price limit but this is the cheapest I could find and I believe free ground shipping:

https://www.beachaudio.com/asus-rt-ax86upro-rt-ax86u-pro-dual-band-wf6perp-quad-core-2-0g-cpu-2-5g-p...

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if I could upload the config file from the AX55 router to AX86U Pro so that I can retain my DDNS and VPN settings?