This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Dropping and Coming Right Back

Reid_L
Star I

Hello, about 3 weeks ago I came back from being out of town and noticed my Internet connection was dropping for a short time and coming back. I could tell this because I work from home and my VMWare connection in would freeze and do a count down for a few seconds then come back. Also had co-workers lose VoIP audio with me over the phone or say I had poor audio quality to them. I would also notice web pages taking longer or erroring out (no surprise there). My work items were wired into an RT-AX88U modem and most other items are on wifi. I have an older RT-AC68U I'm using in AI Mesh mode.

I've had my ISP come out and everything has been replaced: the drop line, connectors, the modem has been swapped twice. I also reset the AX88U router and reloaded all the settings. I thought that fixed it but the problem started again. It can go hours without a problem.

I then ordered another AX88U though it was the Pro version thinking the router had gone bad. I have been using the Net Watchman app to record these drops and reconnections. Same thing is happening.

Today I wired my work PC straight into the Spectrum modem and had no issues for several hours. I swapped back and am now trying to figure out what item on my network could possibly be causing these drops. 

Anyone else had this issue? Can something wired or on wifi cause the router to temporarily lose connection? I've put the RT-AC68U back in as AI Mesh. Between them I have 25 wireless items and some wired (a Synology Diskstation, work PC & phone, and a powerline adapter for another room). 

I am now selectively removing/turning off attached items to see if the problem stops all together. It's just a slow process. But any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

ameelia
Star I

Yes, I have same issue but still unable to find solution.

jzchen
Zen Master I

Thanks for sharing the ISP.  If the problem stops after connecting your computer directly I would clone the MAC of the PC onto the router connected to the modem.  (Old solution to ISP wanting you to rent their modem)...