This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use WireGuard VPN to access internet on my phone

TimWang
Star I

I had setup WireGuard VPN on the router and it seemed I was able to connect the WireGuard VPN on my phone as once I have connected the VPN, my phone cannot access the internet. My question is how can I access internet via this VPN. Many thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @TimWang ,

based on your issue, please make sure that you follow the steps in the below link.

[Wireless Router] How to set up WireGuard® server? | Official Support | ASUS Global

WireGuard® is only supported on the firmware version later than 3.0.0.4.388.23000. Please make sure that you have the latest firmware version.

It is suggest that you verify the DNS settings on your router and phone. If the DNS settings are not configured correctly, it could lead to internet access issues while connected to the VPN. Consider using public DNS servers like Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1) to see if it resolves the issue.

If possible, try connecting to the WireGuard VPN from a different device to see if the issue is specific to your phone or if it affects other devices as well.

Also, have you try to restart your router to troubleshoot the problem?

Could you provide the router model?

Thank you.

TimWang
Star I

@Aureliannn_ASUS  Thanks very much for your reply. I am using GT-AX11000 and the Firmware Version is 3.0.0.4.388_23285.

I am using Starlink and that's why I cannot rely on ipv4. Thus, I have enabled ipv6 for my router and have configured to use the following Google DNS for WireGuard VPN. But it still not allow me to access internet even though I am able to connect vpn. Thanks for the help again.

2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

Hi @TimWang ,

may I ask could you provide the phone product model?

Could you provide the screenshot about you can successfully connect the VPN but cannot connect the internet?

Have you make sure that phone firmware is at the latest version?

Have you try to cross test with other device?

Thank you.

I think the problem is related to ipv6 but I don't know how to fix it 😞 

By the way, it works on mac. Only not working for iOS. Even in router web pages, it says the following:

For iOS users, you must assign a specific DNS server to WireGuard app before accessing the internet through WireGuard Server.

But I don't know how exactly to do. I have tried editing the DNS of this configuration in WireGuard APP. But it's not working 😞