This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 Settings for Fiber Optic gateway

Umrk
Star I

I just switched from cable (Spectrum) to FO (Ting) and need the correct settings for my router. The ISP currently has no suggested settings for connecting to the FO's gateway. Does anyone have optimized settings for connecting an AC-GT5300 to a FO gateway?

Thanks in advance!

Umrk

4 REPLIES 4

Umrk
Star I

As an update to my OP above, I reset the router to its original factory settings, but I continue to get sub-optimal speeds, especially in download speed. Currently, I am getting ~ 400 Mbps when I should be seeing >900 Mbps. As you can see from the speed test results below, I am not getting FO speeds. 

What settings are effecting the download speed? Suggestions are appreciated.

Umrk

Hi @Umrk ,

according to your question, you can connect the fiber port of your fiber gateway (Ting) to the WAN port of your GT-AC5300 router. 

Then, use an Ethernet cable to connect the LAN port of the GT-AC5300 to your computer or other devices. Next, you need to log in to the router's management interface to set up your router.

In the router's management interface, find the WAN settings option. 

Choose your internet connection type as fiber or automatic configuration (DHCP). 

If necessary, you may need to enter detailed information such as the IP address provided by your fiber gateway. 

Once the setup is complete, save and apply the changes.

Also, please make sure that your router firmware is up to date. You can refer to the FAQ below for more information.

[LAN] How to set up DHCP Server on ASUS Router? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thank you.

Hello Aureliannn,

Thank you for replying to my question. Prior to reaching out for help, I made sure the router's firmware was up to date. I also learned that the WAN type is automatically identified by the FO ISP.  Nevertheless, I continue to get the same speeds with FO as I did with Spectrum (in my opinion, the worst ISP in the USA).  A google search revealed many other owners of the GT-AC5300 experience the same issue when switching to FO. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the solution to this reduced speed issue.  I contacted ASUS tech support and after 40 minutes on the phone, the tech escalated this matter. Someone from ASUS is supposed to contact me and I've been waiting for them to reach out. At this point, I am considering buying a new router which is not something I want to do considering the $$$ I spent on the GT-AC5300. But I do need a router that works with FO.

If anyone with the same router resolved the reduced speed when using FO, your suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks again,

Umrk

April 3, 2024 Update:

As I am prompted to accept as a solution the message Aureliannn kindly posted each time I log in to ASUS, I am providing an update to the limited speed issue I am experiencing because it is not resolved.

This morning at 9:00 AM, "Garyl," a representative from ASUS ,called to confirm my availability today for an ASUS support tech call. It is now 4:20 PM (PDT) and no one from ASUS has called. Hopefully an ASUS tech support person will follow through and contact me as promised by Garyl. I will post the solution as soon as the problem is diagnosed, provided someone calls.