This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add another Aimesh node to existing system.

BlueSkye
Star III

Frustrated!

Hi folks, I have an existing AiMesh system including an AC-5300 as my router and an AC-88 and and AC-86 both as AIMesh node connected via Ethernet.  I am trying to add an additonal node.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to add an additional node, in this case an AX-58, to my system.  When I attempt to add a node via the AC-5300's WebGUI, it finds the AX-58 all right, but always comes back with the "wait for a minute somebody else may be attempting to connect."  This happens whether or not the AX-58 is connected via Ethernet to a LAN or the WAN port or whether or not I try it via wireless within a meter or so of the main router.  All routers are on the latest firmware and I have set and reset the AX-58 numerous times.

The AX-58 works fine as a wired AP with the Ethernet connected to the WAN port (or the LAN port for that matter).

Any thoughts on how to get the AX-58 to connect via AiMesh?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So in AiMesh the router is connected to nodes from its LAN port.  The AiMesh nodes are connected to the router via it's WAN port.  Since multiple ports on these are designated as "WAN/LAN", it makes it easy to switch function, as it's all done via software.  (That's one point I wish to explain.  You don't usually need to change connections to switch function, for example from node to Access Point).

For set up, I find almost all of the time I can simply wire one of the WAN ports on a "node" to the "router", then go to the router's AiMesh settings, and select Add Node function.  It will find the node, and most of the time show an icon of an Ethernet jack.  You may then click on the router and it will proceed to link it via Ethernet.  I have a centralized communications box where I have switches connected together to provide for jacks throughout the house.  I usually can simply connect the new router where I want it, then to a wall jack nearby, and add it.  Then I don't need to relocate it it's already where I want it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Rising Star II

Just to confirm this is a RT-AX58U, NOT a RP-AX58?  (I have an RP-AX58 and it has a single Ethernet port, so I may already have my answer and I apologize).

While I have seen this attempted before, where the primary router is lower spec than the node, I don't see it work out well, (so far).

If possible/Ideally set up the RT-AX58U as the primary router, then add the remaining routers as nodes.  (Would you be willing to make that rearrangement)?

Thanks for the suggestions.  Yes, this is an RT-AX58U and I am not, at this point at least, willing to swap out the AX58 for the AC5300.  Maybe at some point but not right now.

One other question I do have is when trying to connect another AiMesh node,  is the new node to be connected to the LAN either at the LAN or the WAN port, or only connected via wireless?  My current two nodes are connected via Ethernet and the backhaul is set to wired.

Thank you!

Update.  I was able to finally get the entire system to work.  What I did was to connect the new AX58U's WAN port to the LAN port of an existing node and now everything is working as it should! 

So in AiMesh the router is connected to nodes from its LAN port.  The AiMesh nodes are connected to the router via it's WAN port.  Since multiple ports on these are designated as "WAN/LAN", it makes it easy to switch function, as it's all done via software.  (That's one point I wish to explain.  You don't usually need to change connections to switch function, for example from node to Access Point).

For set up, I find almost all of the time I can simply wire one of the WAN ports on a "node" to the "router", then go to the router's AiMesh settings, and select Add Node function.  It will find the node, and most of the time show an icon of an Ethernet jack.  You may then click on the router and it will proceed to link it via Ethernet.  I have a centralized communications box where I have switches connected together to provide for jacks throughout the house.  I usually can simply connect the new router where I want it, then to a wall jack nearby, and add it.  Then I don't need to relocate it it's already where I want it.