This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Pro WS W680 ACE - SlimSAS broken after the new ASUS intel BIOS Update

danman
Star II

I updated the Intel ME driver along with the BIOS and now I seem to be having issues with it recognizing any drives I have plugged in through SlimSas port.
I’m still able to POST, boot up, and log into my host operating system; however, when I go into the BIOS>advanced> storage… I’m only seeing two drives I have plugged into SATA ports-- NOT any of the drives plugged into the SlimSAS.

Any help that can be offered?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @danman 
Thank you for providing the relevant hardware information.
Before consolidating with the relevant department to investigate the issue with the hard drive not being recognized through SlimSAS, we would like to further clarify:
- It seems that the original post has not been updated to BIOS version 3802.
Could you please confirm which BIOS version was initially updated when the issue with the hard drive not being recognized through SlimSAS first occurred?
Before any BIOS updates, were all drives correctly recognized in the BIOS?
- If you set SATA Controller(s) and SLIMSAS_1 - SLIMSAS_4 to [Enabled] under BIOS > Advanced settings path and also set Onboard Devices Configuration > SlimSAS Configuration to [SATA mode], then reboot, does the BIOS recognize the hard drives connected via SlimSAS?

If not, please also share screenshots of these settings in the BIOS.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello @danman 

May I ask if the issue occurred after updating to the 3802 BIOS, and have you tried clearing CMOS after the update? Is the launch CSM option in the BIOS set to "Enabled"?
If you remove the drives plugged into the SlimSAS and cross-test with the SATA ports, are the drives recognized in the BIOS or the system upon booting? 

If the above tests do not resolve the issue, please share the following information to help us better understand your situation:
- which BIOS version was updated to which BIOS version
- images of the BIOS main page and all manual settings
- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU currently installed
- the brand and model of the current SSDs and HDDs, as well as their installed locations on the motherboard

- the OS version and OS build

Thank you.

danman
Star II

thanks Jiaszzz_ASUS!

Just for the record, i updated to the 3802 version with the 0x129 microcode. Ill try some of your suggestions and come back.

One thing im realizing.... i didnt run the BIOSRenamer tool before the install. woops....

danman
Star II

Also, I did try clearing CMOS prior to making the post. I just did a fresh install of the BIOS "PRO WS W680-ACE BIOS 3802" available on the Asus support page for the W680-ACE motherboard i have. Intel ME Update tool was run prior to installation.

I attempted to enable CSM in the BIOS but it is grey'ed out and disabled. Drives connected via SlimSAS are still not recognized in the BIOS, SATA drives are recognized. This issue ONLY began after running these updates.

- which BIOS version was updated to which BIOS version

I cant say for sure, only that I had the BIOS version shipped with the board... i only just got the board less than 2 months ago. It is currently on v3802 as shown below.

- images of the BIOS main page and all manual settings

images attached, defaults maintained since i got the board.

PXL_20240823_201224232.jpgPXL_20240823_201149047.MP.jpgPXL_20240823_201236444.MP.jpg
- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU currently installed

As i mentioned before these were all working prior to the update but ill put my hardware information below.

CPU:

• Intel 14900k

GPU:

• N/A - Using integrated graphics on the CPU

RAM: 

• Kingston 32 GB ECC RAM 2 sticks (64GB Total) - KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM

PSU:

• EVGA 700GD

- the brand and model of the current SSDs and HDDs, as well as their installed locations on the motherboard

Motherboard model: ASUS PRO WS W680-ACE

Let me get back to you with this information.

danman
Star II

the brand and model of the current SSDs and HDDs, as well as their installed locations on the motherboard

Motherboard model: ASUS PRO WS W680-ACE

Location - SlimSAS

• Seagate EXOS 12TB x 4 (NOT RECOGNIZED POST UPDATE)

Location - SATA

• Seagate EXOS 12TB x1 (RECOGNIZED)
  • Seagate IronWolf 12TB x1 (RECOGNIZED)

Location - M.2 PCI

• HP EX900 Plus 1TB NVMe
     x2 (RECOGNIZED)