cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX505DY Shutting down every time I play a game

eddie1
Star I
System: Windows 10 Home 1909
Battery or AC: AC (plugged in), but would most likely occur on battery too.
Model: FX505DY-BQ009T
Frequency of occurrence: Whenever I launch/play the games
Reset OS: Yes, multiple times.
Screenshot or video: Unable to, as it wouldn't be saved due to the laptop powering off.
========================
Detailed description:Every time I play a game, leading to the RX 560X GPU being in use (under heavy load), the laptop completely powers off, thus needing to be turned back on. This means that any progress that was made (if any could be made) is not saved. The two main games this has occurred on is Firewatch and Subnautica, I am fairly certain this laptop should be able to run them both perfectly. Both games were on low and medium settings when the shutdowns have occurred. The laptop was plugged in and turbo mode was active. This appears to be a problem with the GPU overheating, when I check the Armoury Crate application it shows that the GPU's temperature is around 88-90 degrees, which I am sure is way above what it should be? I have read that the hard limit (when the device powers off to protect itself from any damage) on the RX 560X card is 90 degrees, which would explain the shutdowns because as soon as the games are launched the GPU reaches those temperatures.
As a side note, the MyAsus application identified that there was a problem with the SSD inside the laptop, despite me not being able to notice any problems with the SSD (everything runs super fast and the operating system/boot up time is great), I did some research and I feel the SSD may have something to do with the GPU overheating.
This makes games that should be running with no issues completely unplayable. Any help would be appreciated 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

edrendi
  1. System: Windows 10 Home 1909
  2. Battery or AC: AC (plugged in), but would most likely occur on battery too.
  3. Model: FX505DY-BQ009T
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Whenever I launch/play the games
  5. Reset OS: Yes, multiple times.
  6. Screenshot or video: Unable to, as it wouldn't be saved due to the laptop powering off.

========================

Detailed description:Every time I play a game, leading to the RX 560X GPU being in use (under heavy load), the laptop completely powers off, thus needing to be turned back on. This means that any progress that was made (if any could be made) is not saved. The two main games this has occurred on is Firewatch and Subnautica, I am fairly certain this laptop should be able to run them both perfectly. Both games were on low and medium settings when the shutdowns have occurred. The laptop was plugged in and turbo mode was active. This appears to be a problem with the GPU overheating, when I check the Armoury Crate application it shows that the GPU's temperature is around 88-90 degrees, which I am sure is way above what it should be? I have read that the hard limit (when the device powers off to protect itself from any damage) on the RX 560X card is 90 degrees, which would explain the shutdowns because as soon as the games are launched the GPU reaches those temperatures.

As a side note, the MyAsus application identified that there was a problem with the SSD inside the laptop, despite me not being able to notice any problems with the SSD (everything runs super fast and the operating system/boot up time is great), I did some research and I feel the SSD may have something to do with the GPU overheating.

This makes games that should be running with no issues completely unplayable. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

FX505DY Shutting down every time I play a game
Hi @edrendi even i faced the same problem, It happens especially if you close the lid while running a game, I usually hook my laptop via hdmi to a monitor and I have faced this isuue several time. When ran with lid open the laptop works fine and game runs well.
you said about SSD but this model doesn't comes with SSD, btw which region are you from?
Does your laptop drains battery even when plugged in while running games?

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
@edrendi. Try to play those games with low settings , when cpu and gpu loads heavy loads , and could not get cooled , to avoid damage to hardware , windows will completely turned off completely.
so problems with those particular games and with the graphics driver form AMD, so i request you to contact the game support team

eddie1
Star I
biswadeepmondal

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/25748/fx505dy-shutting-down-every-time-i-play-a-game

Hi @edrendi even i faced the same problem, It happens especially if you close the lid while running a game, I usually hook my laptop via hdmi to a monitor and I have faced this isuue several time. When ran with lid open the laptop works fine and game runs well.

1. you said about SSD but this model doesn't comes with SSD, btw which region are you from?
  2. Does your laptop drains battery even when plugged in while running games?

View post
I’m playing the games on the laptop itself, no monitor is connected, so no, my lid is not closed.
As for your questions;
1: This model does come with an SSD, for some reason, in fact, mine comes only with an SSD and no HDD.
2: I stated in my post that the laptop was plugged in. I always have the laptop plugged in whilst gaming.

eddie1
Star I
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

@edrendi. Try to play those games with low settings , when cpu and gpu loads heavy loads , and could not get cooled , to avoid damage to hardware , windows will completely turned off completely.

so problems with those particular games and with the graphics driver form AMD, so i request you to contact the game support team

View post
I mentioned in the post that the games were in fact tested on low settings and the shutdowns still occurred.