ROG Phone 2 (12/512) Freezes and Auto Restart Problem

JerelJerel Level 1
edited November 2019 in ROG Phone 2

Help... ..,my phone suddenly freezes from time to time especially while playing. (less than 2 hours of playing)

Back, home and recent buttons doesn't work and then auto restarts after 1 min of hung time.

Settings are mostly default (60 hz refresh rate, X-mode off, system lighting off) but still builds up heat fast even after only 1 game of asphalt.

Thinking of going to Factory Reset the phone or try to actually ask the ROG concept store to replace the unit of the problem still exist.

Best Answer

Comments

• If your phone is auto restarting , then it is a motherboard problem ,

I faced with asus 6z

• edited November 2019

ROG Phone II doesn't have the same issue as ZenFone 6 did. They have completely different design.

@Jerel the phone might get hot but it shouldn't restart. Have you already tried factory reset? Did it help or did you send your phone for repair?

• I'm sorry to say but this problem seems to be still existing even if the design of ROG Phone II is completely different.

My phone keep turning off every 3-4 days. It never happened to me when I was actually using it, always right after I have locked the screen or just when it was lying on my desk.

Usually I'm not able to turn it on for next few minutes (only twice I have managed to turn it on straight away).

It doesn't seem to be just a screen issue as all my Bluetooth devices are getting disconnected and if I call myself from different phone I'm getting redirected to the voicemail.

It is also not related to any third party app as I have removed all of them and problem still occurs, also I have confirmed that with other users on different forums.

You can imagine how annoying it is when you realize that your phone was off for last 1-2 hours and after turning it on you receive all these missed texts, phone calls. Because of that I keep it all the time connected to my wireless speaker which will inform me as soon as it will get disconnected from the phone. However it is not a long term solution which I would like stick to.

Over weekend I'm planing to do a factory reset as Anders suggested. Will keep you informed,

If you need any more details, please let me know, I will try to provide you with all info I have.

• I sorry and really hope the reset will fix it. If not, then you need to send it for repair.

• hello i'm back again... ..,,i did reset to factory settings then weeks after the problem is back again... ..,temps are normal, around 36° since i just picked up the phone in the morning i was only playing less than an hour when it happened, also i only had 4 apps in my recent or running in background: fb, black desert, and chrome (i was playing mobile legend for 13mins when it happened again)... ..,this would be the 11th time in total that this happened, twice after reformat.

• As per Jerel's post, after factory reset everything was fine for a few weeks and now problem started again... and even intensified. My phone sometimes turn off every 10-15mins.

What I have also noticed is that battery drained like crazy when my phone is off. After literally 5mins of being off, battery drop 20%.

Bluetooth transfer is now affected as well. Cannot send a single file or keep 3rd party device connected for longed than 10mins even when the phone is on.

It's really frustrating but I have to send my phone for repair. Hope they will be able to fix it and send it back asap.

• BaddarBaddar Level 1
    edited January 12

Same issue here. Asus please look into this as it is very serious. How can we trust your phones to give us important notifications when they shutdown randomly. Please look at forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/help/phone-randomly-off-t3997243 for more information

• koikoi Level 1

Add me to the list!!!!

Everytime i connect a charger, screen turns off... Will have to wait for few mins so i can turn it back on and have to remove the charger.

• koikoi Level 1

Updated to Android 10 just now from Asus Website, still it happens!

Previously on their beta update site for beta 9, it adresses the issue supposedly...

• I previously had something similar to this issue on my ROG2. The phone auto restarts every few hours, usually when Im not using it. But sometimes it happens when Im simply browsing whatsapp messages. This issue happened for over a period of about 2 to 3 weeks then one day when Im in a middle of a game it freezes completely. I tried a force reboot, and the system became very laggy after the reboot. Error messages like Asus Launcher stopped working and system UI stopped working started happening. A touchscreen command took more than 20s to be executed. I tried to reboot a few more times and the phone was totally dead. Not able to detect charger and unable to power on. Had to bring it to the service centre to get it fixed. When i got my unit repaired, they told me the motherboard was replaced.

• MonarkMonark Level 3

God i can't believe it is also happening in ROG also.

Cause i am a 6z user who suffered this but after getting it to service center and after my motherboard got replaced it is good now for almost 6 months.

• koikoi Level 1

Tried almost everything. But still nothing happened, from custom flash, erase and wipe, update one by one whatever availble update ther is, still none. Same issue. When charger plugged in it shuts down. However i would not deduce it as hardware issue because whenever charge the phone in fastboot mode, or flash it through pc, it wont shutdown nor restart.. DAMN THIS BETA, biggest REGRET of my LIFE! and ASUS doesbt have a FIX!

• I am also having similar auto restart and switch off problem. When I put my phone on charging it switches off and charges slowly.

While gaming the screen freezes and I have to restart the game couple of times and it still keeps on freezing.

All of this strted when I updated the phone to android 10 beta version.

Please asus get a fix for this as I cannot even send my phone for a fix because of the COVID-19 lockdown

• I will send you a private message with our log tool and instructions on how to use it so we can determine if you have a software or hardware issue

• LuniaLunia Level 1

I also have the same problem where my phone shuts off when I charge it and freeze while gaming too. But now I'm facing an even bigger problem where my phone is completely frozen and unresponsive. Can't shut it off to restart or reboot, Power button not responding at all, nor was the screen too. It had been unresponsive for nearly 3 hours now and I don't know what to do. Is there any ways to reboot ROG2??? This phone is becoming more and more problematic as days pass by and I can't even go out to have it fixed.

• Hi @Anders_ASUS can you provide me the tool so i can check the reason why my phone always shutdown itself when playing games.