This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play services battery drain issue

klynkrishnaa
Star II
I feel many of proud ROG 2 Users are struggling with the same issue as mine. Play services is consuming a humongous amount of battery. Don't even know which of the apps internally is using the data from play services. I have turned off Auto sync, Turned off Location sharing, turned off Google Fit, Turned off Ads personalisation and opted out of IBA. Yet battery is drained the most by Play services. There is no option to optimise the battery usage by Play Services.

@Asus Team.. Need an immediate update for this. Doesn't feel like a 6000mah phone. ??
Attached are my battery stats
VD5Y4JJDHGQG.jpg

43 REPLIES 43

tempuz1
Star II
I have the same problem as well. I'm on the WW version 512gb/12gb ram. Location is always off, turned off most of the auto sync and I have the beta version of play services.
Anyone found a solution for this yet?
9S6A3IS8XMUW.jpg

tempuz1
Star II
tempuz1

I have the same problem as well. I'm on the WW version 512gb/12gb ram. Location is always off, turned off most of the auto sync and I have the beta version of play services.

Anyone found a solution for this yet?

9S6A3IS8XMUW.jpg

View post
I have also noticed that I only have this problem when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.

deodatsss
Star III

tempuz1

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/24720#Comment_24720

I have also noticed that I only have this problem when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.

View post

Same for me. I'm getting incredible battery life IF only I'm on a Wifi network. But when I'm out using mobile data, battery drains almost the same as when I'm using the phone. It gets a bit warm too even when its asleep.
I have pinned down one of my culprits - MicroG for Youtube Vanced. My battery drain reduced a bit but still Google Play Services is still the top battery drain - again if only on mobile data.
Another culprit might be the FB Messenger app - but I can't disable background data for this as this is one of my main messaging apps and need real-time updates. But it is still weird because in my Pixel 2XL I never experienced battery drain from Google Play Services using my Messenger app.
I tried turning off Wifi and Bluetooth scanning, auto-sync, also uninstalled other suspicious apps that may be running in the background - and still no improvement.
For now I think I just need to wait for the Android 10 update or if there are any custom ROM that can still use ROG features (AirTrigger, Armoury Crate, etc).
It kinda sucks that I bought a 6000mah phone that barely gets me through the day by just using mobile data.
FYI I'm using Tencent version 8gb with stock global rom 1908.12 (not flashed). I will try to apply a manual update to 1908.21 and see if there are any improvements.

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
deodatsss

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/24847#Comment_24847

Same for me. I'm getting incredible battery life IF only I'm on a Wifi network. But when I'm out using mobile data, battery drains almost the same as when I'm using the phone. It gets a bit warm too even when its asleep.

I have pinned down one of my culprits - MicroG for Youtube Vanced. My battery drain reduced a bit but still Google Play Services is still the top battery drain - again if only on mobile data.

Another culprit might be the FB Messenger app - but I can't disable background data for this as this is one of my main messaging apps and need real-time updates. But it is still weird because in my Pixel 2XL I never experienced battery drain from Google Play Services using my Messenger app.

I tried turning off Wifi and Bluetooth scanning, auto-sync, also uninstalled other suspicious apps that may be running in the background - and still no improvement.

For now I think I just need to wait for the Android 10 update or if there are any custom ROM that can still use ROG features (AirTrigger, Armoury Crate, etc).

It kinda sucks that I bought a 6000mah phone that barely gets me through the day by just using mobile data.

FYI I'm using Tencent version 8gb with stock global rom 1908.12 (not flashed). I will try to apply a manual update to 1908.21 and see if there are any improvements.

View post
Be advised if you're using a Tencent phone with WW firmware you may see weird interactions like this. This configuration is not officially supported.

tempuz1
Star II
LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/24976#Comment_24976

Be advised if you're using a Tencent phone with WW firmware you may see weird interactions like this. This configuration is not officially supported.

View post
Well I'm using the global version with WW firmware and have exactly the same problems so I doubt that's the issue.