System: Zenbook S 13
Battery or AC: Irrelevant
Model: UM5302
Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
Reset OS: Irrelevant
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.
26 REPLIES 26

FongPoui
Rising Star II

FongPoui
Rising Star II

At 4.49 about ports, it is said that USB4 ready!!!

FongPoui
Rising Star II
In this video, at 9.49, it is said that this can be upgraded to USB4 via a firmware update...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BDClroWbM

Falcon_ASUS
paulito

Many of us are in the same boat: we bought the Asus Zenbook S 13 OLED (UM5302TA) because there were clear claims (followed by a video of the laptop itself using USB4 devices, see PCWorld on YT) of USB 4 support with this specific model, in addition of clear mentions of it in resellers listings as well as box labels.

We really need Asus to step up and push out the updates everyone is waiting for, at least with models for which Asus clearly mentioned USB4 compatibility.

View post
FongPoui

In this video, at 9.49, it is said that this can be upgraded to USB4 via a firmware update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BDClroWbM

View post
@paulito , @FongPoui
Unfortunately, the USB specification of UM5302 is USB3.2C*3.

Zenbook S 13 OLED (UM5302) Outer Box Label Correction Notice
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Jjberks12
Star I
I feel like we need an explaination from ASUS on this. it's weird to have early models showing support and the box (even mine which I got a few days ago) stating it supports usb 4. It doesn't make any sense.