img-20220108-224324.jpg
img-20220108-224235.jpg
img-20220108-223236.jpg
IPS VS ZENBOOK below
IPS
ips.jpg
ZENBOOK
zenbook.jpg

I recently bought the new Zenbook OLED laptop and I noticed color banding all over the place. The issue is most noticeable on dark scenes basically ruining entire experience when watching movies or even youtube. I compared the screen at home to my OLED LG C1 and IPS screens on my desktop and the banding basically does not exist there and the gradation is smooth.
The details in the dark shades on the Zenbook are non existent. There is no smooth gradation. The blacks are completely crushed. Changing the brightness of the screen makes it look even worse completely unwatchable.
I bought the laptop for the OLED screen but it looks like it was completely wrong choice.
I wouldn't say this is normal in a laptop for 1100 euro.
I am not using HDR (it looks even worse) and my colors are set to 10bit.
Is there anything I can do here or should I just return the laptop?

7 REPLIES 7

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Go into your graphics control panel and play with the gamma levels.

Xaia
Star I
Danishblunt

Go into your graphics control panel and play with the gamma levels.

View post
Well, if I change gamma levels then I will get rid of the perfect blacks which I do not want to do. It simply looks like this display cannot handle 10 bit correctly because there are missing grey values.
There is nothing I can do about gradation in gray scale. Pushing black levels higher won't help and it defeats the purpose of OLED screen.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Xaia

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/200495#Comment_200495

Well, if I change gamma levels then I will get rid of the perfect blacks which I do not want to do. It simply looks like this display cannot handle 10 bit correctly because there are missing grey values.

There is nothing I can do about gradation in gray scale. Pushing black levels higher won't help and it defeats the purpose of OLED screen.

View post
That shouldnt be the case unless you go absolutely crazy with the gammacurve. It takes time to find the perfect settings, not every panel is created equal. If you want a less fiddly approach you can get a spyder from datacolor.

Xaia
Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/200497#Comment_200497

That shouldnt be the case unless you go absolutely crazy with the gammacurve. It takes time to find the perfect settings, not every panel is created equal. If you want a less fiddly approach you can get a spyder from datacolor.

View post
Alright, please tell me where I can find the gamma levels curve settings. All I get in Radeon settings is simple slider and windows 11 has nothing like that.