This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black level problems in 60 and 120 Hertz

b0ttl3m4n
Rising Star I
Changing the brightness causes black to not appear as proper black, on 60 and 120 Hertz. 90 Hertz has no issues, I have seen this complaint before, not sure if it's an panel or software issue, but it should be checked as it makes anything but 90 Hertz a pain to use! 60 Hertz with DC dimming also works.
12 REPLIES 12

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@b0ttl3m4n OLED displays usually perform better at higher brightness levels. It's also normal to see some variations between different refresh rate settings. If you're sensitive to this and can't find a mode (60/90/120) that suits you I understand if you'd want to return your device within the refund period.

b0ttl3m4n
Rising Star I
Gustav_ASUS

@b0ttl3m4n OLED displays usually perform better at higher brightness levels. It's also normal to see some variations between different refresh rate settings. If you're sensitive to this and can't find a mode (60/90/120) that suits you I understand if you'd want to return your device within the refund period.

View post
I got used to running 120 Hertz at day and 60 Hertz + DC dimming at night. Perfect solution for both, atleast for me. I never had these kind of issues before but I also never had a phone with more than 60 Hertz admittedly so I'm probably just not used to it ^^'

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@b0ttl3m4n I'm glad to hear that!

b0ttl3m4n
Rising Star I
Gustav_ASUS

@b0ttl3m4n I'm glad to hear that!

View post
Me too, it's a great phone, that was just something that concerned me, but it actually seems normal. I guess it's the price of high refresh rate displays, but even 90 Hertz is already a big improvement over 60 and in my opinion easily enough, if lowering the refresh rate to 90 Hertz for the next phone allows for better overall display quality I would definitly think about that, it's the best combination for smoothness and battery life after all

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
b0ttl3m4n

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/183016#Comment_183016

Me too, it's a great phone, that was just something that concerned me, but it actually seems normal. I guess it's the price of high refresh rate displays, but even 90 Hertz is already a big improvement over 60 and in my opinion easily enough, if lowering the refresh rate to 90 Hertz for the next phone allows for better overall display quality I would definitly think about that, it's the best combination for smoothness and battery life after all

View post
Oled panels tend to have issues on higher refresh rate if calibration is not at par as asus also have major flaws in screen calibration , i am a rog 3 user and its just bad in our devices and i dont know how severe it is for you guys are having on zenfone 8 but its no surprise to hear to have issues and yea 90hz is the best overall for battery and performance and i suggest you to use auto as it will dynamically adjust refresh rate according to content as most of the time , it will run at 90hz in ui so you wont have to constantly change it every time you do something else, just an advice ......... 😉