cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night light issue - intermittent contrast changes

belegdol
Star III
Hi,
my Zenfone 8 is exhibiting a strange issue with Night Light: whenever it is active, every now and again the display will go into a kind of ultra-low-contrast mode, with blacks getting grey and everything looking washed out in general. It happens in particular when watching youtube or browsing reddit. Is anybody else seeing this? Is this a software or rather a hardware issue?
11 REPLIES 11

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@belegdol That YT link does not work for m. It says that the video is not available.
Back to the topic at hand, OLED displays typically perform better at medium and high brightness levels. It's also normal to see some variations across different refresh rates. If you are particularly sensitive to this, please use 60 or 120 Hz for low brightness conditions.
@off2fly115 Zenfone 6 uses an IPS LCD display, so it should not have the same characteristics. Can you post a video of this in the ZF6 forum section?

belegdol
Star III
Here is the link, looks like it is case sensitive:
youtu.be/CGKN6xyC4JY

I hope you can see the black level change. Is this within acceptable difference between refresh rates?

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@belegdol It's an OLED characteristic. As I said in my previous post, please use the 60 or 120 Hz mode if you find 90 Hz not to your liking at low brightness.

belegdol
Star III
Gustav_ASUS

@belegdol It's an OLED characteristic. As I said in my previous post, please use the 60 or 120 Hz mode if you find 90 Hz not to your liking at low brightness.

View post
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that my phone is not damaged.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
belegdol

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/181996#Comment_181996

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that my phone is not damaged.

View post
Yeah, that's not the case. No problem! 🙂