Excessive battery drain by Chrome

nikhil_kaimalnikhil_kaimal Level 1
edited September 13 in ROG Phone 5

Some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 5
  2. Firmware Version: RKQ1.201022.002.WW_Phone-18.0840.2106.86
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: On each battery cycle
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Chrome 92.0.4515.131

Attaching screenshot of battery usage from 100% to 10% :

Comments

• Aryan202Aryan202 Level 5

Update chrome and system webview to latest via playstore

Chrome and webview has had excessive drain bug a couple of times

• Already updated to latest version and this drain issue was there with previous updates also.

• For me screen is the most battery drain

• Do you use it perhaps at a higher brightness and refresh rate ?

• lorpagulorpagu Level 1

I have uniform app usage but then again I use Firefox. But overall battery span sucks, I don't even game or use much and it barely last 1.5days, just like my old 3000mah phones. Some bs going on around the 6000mah figure.

What does your battery capacity show up on apps like accubattery? Mine shows that usable capacity is 3000mah out of 6000mah(detects total capacity). Not even 1 month old phone for me.

• Hi nikhil,

Please follow the below:

Share your SOT(Screen on time) after trying the below:

1. Charge the battery to 100% & use as per your normal usage pattern (Twice)

2. When the battery strength reaches 10%, go to settings = Battery => Tap on the battery icon & share the graph

3. settings => Battery => Check the screen & share the same

If the chrome is still present and using too much battery, clear cache and storage and reinstall the App.

Factory reset once and report back.

• Hello,

Reading the first 3 accubattery reviews would certainly have allowed you to know even before installing it that it was going to detect you a 3000 mAh battery :) and this is the case for the majority of applications of the same type which are unable to provide reliable information with the new technologies implemented on the battery.

The Android paradox and battery software and accelerators / cleaners and other cpu and memory optimizers

90% are popular with users

99% are useless, at best they do nothing, but most of the time they do more harm than good.

• Can also confirm from screenshot that Chrome is a massive battery drain. Look at usage time compared to something like YouTube further down the list.

• lorpagulorpagu Level 1

First off I don't know for accubattery whether it has fixed it but I should have been more specific in saying the usable capacity for me shows around 3400mah which suggests it is considering both batteries. Secondly battery or any circuitry for that matter are abstracted, meaning OS will think it is a single battery with 6000mah. And I am 80% sure all modern phone batteries have programmable ports which can report usable capacity. You can see that even in windows for laptops and usb ups.

Comparing simple battery monitoring and reporting applications with bogus cleaners and optimisers is a stretch. Particularly accubattery is considered very credible in all android forums when reporting battery drain issues. Good job shilling. I can confidently say I had better battery longetivity with lower battery capacity phones than my ROG 5. Maybe my device is faulty which is why I asked if anyone else can test it too and report back.

I am only reporting this after a month of 10-100% charging sessions. Tested with various scenarios. Gaming especially discharges the phone in less than three hours.

• This is insane, used Chrome for 2 mins today and it's used 2% of my battery.

• @lorpagu 

Hello,

As expected, I confirm that AccuBattery gives very little correct information, the three main values ​​are manufacturer capacity 6000 mAh,% charge and estimated time up to 80, 90 or 100%

The estimated capacity is fancy and varies a lot, 400, 1200, 2600 mAh !!!, it seems to fluctuate less with time and is closer to the capacity of a battery but still moves between 2600 - 3200.

The screen off charger test is also wrong, my tester inserted between a 2A charger and the Rog5 indicates 1890mA and AccuBattery indicates 850ma (and I am absolutely sure of this tester, which allows multiple measurements including testing the battery capacity from 0 at 100% and indicates a value very close to 6000 mAh)

Time of use with the screen on indicates 5 hours per accubattery, I play with a non-stop outdoor game that uses 5G, GPS and BT, non-X mode and 60 fps, it is also a wifi access point for another smartphone , after 5 hours I still have 30 to 35% battery.

screen off accbattery indicates 24h :), I never left the 24h rog off but -3% in 10h the time I forgot to put in airplane mode lets me think that 24h is very underestimated.

After what you indicate, a game that unloads the phone in 3 hours, it is likely that your phone has a defective cell or some other problem.

A simple solution to test the cells after configuring the constant charge is to start at close to 0% charge and let it charge 100% with a standard charger that we are sure is delivering 1A or 2A (not the charger). ASUS 65w). If the green light is on after 3 hours in 1A or 1 hour 30 minutes with 2A, there is a fault.

• @ARP_ASUS I have now factory reset the phone, charged to 100% and used till 10% twice.

There is a slight improvement compared to earlier, however the drain is still huge compared to other applications like YouTube or Prime Video used for more than an hour.

Attaching screenshot of battery usage as you told:

What next !?

• Just force stop and disable it

You use firefox for browsing

• Something is very off with the reporting. Surely Chrome isn't actually using that much?

• Use another browser then disable and force stop chrome

• Just force stop and uninstall it

You can use firefox for browsing

• I mean, that's not really a solution. It's a work around and then I lose my bookmarks etc that are linked to my Google account.

• Chrome cannot be uninstalled when it is preinstalled, it is just possible to disable it.

This may not be advisable depending on the other applications and the settings of the phone and of the PC (s)

The current version of Chrome does not have too many Bug, it is better to dig deeper into the diag.

The list is too long to list everything but it is not enough to erase the data and the cache and especially does not concern the Rog phone 5 but all the devices that could be synchronized

or simply a process of an online games accessed with chrome.

- search for synchronized devices and deactivate their synchronization

- check and block the data transfer of applications in the background on the phone

- erase all the histories on the devices which were synchronized.

- clear cache and data

- disable chrome

reboot the rog 5

reactivate Chrome and redo the update

Control and if it is good, use chrome with a site, close and control then another etc .....

If it's still good, activate synchronization by checking between each device.

• I forgot, check in the application manager, for chrome, the consumption of the data in the foreground and the background, it is a good indicator to know if it is crashed by itself or if it communicates

This discussion has been closed.