This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a VivoBook 14 F412D

bill_klee62
Star I
I saw that one of the options of the VivoBook 14 F412D is for either an NVMe SSD or a laptop SSD, or both. It came with a 256 GB NVMe, a space for the laptop SSD and a connector for the laptop drive. I asked in an earlier post what size NVMe the system could take, and was told that 512 GB was the largest that had been tested. I decided to push that envelope, and added the following:
1: a NPY CS3030 SSD - an NVMe 2280 SSD, 2 TB in size
2: a Sansung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, also 2 TB
3: a ribbon cable for the laptop drive.
I am pleased to state that both drives work quite well. I partitioned the NVMe and installed Manjaro Linux, and the laptop drive as bulk storage, formatted as ext4.
The only other upgrade I'm contemplating is replacing the one replaceable 4 GB stick of RAM with an 8 GB, but the current 8 GB RAM installed is quite sufficient for linux.
So, if anyone is interested in upgrading their VivoBook 14, the F412D, at least, will take that size NVMe.
1 REPLY 1

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
bill.klee62

I saw that one of the options of the VivoBook 14 F412D is for either an NVMe SSD or a laptop SSD, or both. It came with a 256 GB NVMe, a space for the laptop SSD and a connector for the laptop drive. I asked in an earlier post what size NVMe the system could take, and was told that 512 GB was the largest that had been tested. I decided to push that envelope, and added the following:

1: a NPY CS3030 SSD - an NVMe 2280 SSD, 2 TB in size

2: a Sansung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, also 2 TB

3: a ribbon cable for the laptop drive.

I am pleased to state that both drives work quite well. I partitioned the NVMe and installed Manjaro Linux, and the laptop drive as bulk storage, formatted as ext4.

The only other upgrade I'm contemplating is replacing the one replaceable 4 GB stick of RAM with an 8 GB, but the current 8 GB RAM installed is quite sufficient for linux.

So, if anyone is interested in upgrading their VivoBook 14, the F412D, at least, will take that size NVMe.

Upgrading a VivoBook 14 F412D
i have another model vivobook 15 X542UQ , installed 16GB ddr4 2400 mhz ram , seagate 2TB HDD 2.5 inch 5400rpm
+ seagate 2TB HDD 2.5 inch 5400rpm + samsung 860 evo M.2 SATA 3 250GB 2280.
intel i5 7200u processor with nvidia geforce 940mx 2gb gddr5