Grey lines and green flicker on webcam when using AC power

System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Description: Grey lines and green flicker on webcam when using AC power
Model: UX533FD
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No

Last edited by Quarter on 2019/12/9 09:37

As described above, the webcam image has grey lines and occasional green flickers. This only occurs when AC power is plugged in, everything works perfectly when using battery. I have removed and re-installed drivers with no success.
This is a brand new laptop that I removed from the box yesterday.

I see that there are two other questions with the same issue, but no answer has been provided. Is this a hardware issue and do I need to return my laptop or is there a software fix?

Comments

• update of upgrade the following special firmwares or driver
    01. Intel Management Firmware according to processor model to the processor
    02. INtel management interface driver to processor
    03.update the correct latest intel microcode to processor or latest bios
    05. use windows 10 1909 64bit 18363.476 pro or enterprise
  • Hi, Raj

I have performed the updates. The problem persists.

The laptop shipped with Windows 10 Home, not Pro or Enterprise, but the version and build numbers are identical to those in your reply.

Is this a known issue?
  • Quarter posted on 2019/12/6 13:38
    Hi, Raj

I have performed the updates. The problem persists.

Hello Quarter,
    So the issue only occurred with you plug in the AC adapter?
    Have you tried to update BIOS?
    May you provide a screenshot or video of the grey lines if possible?
    Thank you so much.
  • Hi, Blake

Thanks for your reply.

I have not updated the BIOS yet. Please send instructions on how to do so.

I have attached an animated GIF which shows the grey lines and a green flash. Due to compression, the colour of the flash is more grey-looking, but is a solid green in full quality.
  • Quarter posted on 2019/12/9 15:36
    Hi, Blake

Thanks for your reply.

Hello Quarter,
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    Please refer to below FAQ for how to update BIOS
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859/
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008276/
    Thank you.
  • Updating the bios doesn't work.
  • arneparne posted on 2019/12/16 21:04
    Updating the bios doesn't work.

Hello arneparne,
    May I have your model name as well?
    And can you provide more description about the scenario?
    (Like only under AC mode, only when video calling, skype testing is fine...)
    Thank you.
  • This is a replacement of my other UX431FL-AN012T from this thread: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-295697-1-1.html . It has the same problem. When the power is plugged in, lines sometimes appear on the webcam feed. It happens always, in any app. Not only when calling. This is quite disappointing.
  • I've exactly the same issue on the Zenbook 15.
  • I have the same issue too. It's an Asus Zenbook 15 UX533FD purchased very recently. Help please.
  • blake_ASUS posted on 2019/12/17 04:12
    Hello arneparne,
    May I have your model name as well?
    And can you provide more description about th ...

Hi Blake,

Can we please know if ASUS is aware of this issue and if so if it's currently looking for a solution?

Thanks.
  • at last .boot the windows into safemode with networking.
    recheck the problems once again
  • Ok, apparently yesterday my laptop automatically updated its BIOS. Today I have checked and the issue with the lines, etc is gone. The issue is fully solved in Skype although in browsers like Firefox and Chrome doing video calls results in only image and not audio. Permissions are granted. Neither audio in the input nor the output.The windows boot in safemode doesn't help either. Any recommendation?
  • Does anyone have an idea if this problem has a solution? I am having the same camera issue (on AC, but not on battery) on a UX581.
  • jacpolmanjacpolman Level 1

Mine too, also UX581 (Zenbook Pro Duo). Green flashes when using camera in Skype/Teams when on AC power. Latest drivers from Realtec. Although there are 2 camera entries in the devicelist? Tried removing one, it automatically returns.

• eejay65eejay65 Level 1
    edited April 24

Hi there,

We have the same problem with an UX431FA model in the Netherlands. Only on AC power (234v 50Hz) we notice flickering in the camera. Since we now because of corona do a lot of skype/teams etc, we noticed it now. I've monitored the AC mains, is very steady, also tried other power outlets, unfortunately the flickering still occurrs, and is very randomly. We still have warranty so I think we might send it back. Using windows10, latest drivers, updated bios. Does anyone have a solution or hint?

Cheers and stay healthy

Eric Aling, The Netherlands

• ldslds Level 1

Hi there,

I have the same problem with a VivoBook S15 S532FL laptop. Same symptoms as described by all others. Tried the suggestions above, but nothing seems to work. Extremely annoying and disappointing...

• Yup, I have the same issue on the Zenbook Pro Duo. The computer is brand new and the drivers & BIOS are all up to date.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

• @fabrice.roncoroni @jacpolman @magidorit

Please kindly provide SN in the PM I send you.

Please also double check if your BIOS and Windows are up to date.

and may you confirm that the issue only occurs in AC mode?

and if the issue only occurs in independent social media apps like Skype and Teams,

or it also shows on browser?

Thank you.

• ricardobrandaopricardobrandaop Level 1
    edited April 29

@Blake_ASUS Same problem here. Even posted it in Ifixit forum with the subject below.

IT Also happens only when I have the AC power connected. Functions perfectly on Battery only.

Would you PM me also? Thanks.

----------------------------

Asus Zenbook UX431FN - Blinking Display Screen while using WEBCAM

Before we start:

1) My questions and specs are at the end

2) My video and webcam drivers are updated

- Nvidia video card - - INTEL video card - - Webcam - 

==================

I have been using webcam a LOT in this quarantine for video calls. I use two types of webcams:

1) Laptop built-in camera ( Hardware ID  ) OR

2) My brand new external Logitech BRIO webcam

ISSUE:

Whenever I use either of the two webcams, the issue is the same - my screen keeps blinking immediately after starting the video call and after about 30 to 40 minutes into the videocall, it freezes my screen. The moment I pause the video OR disconnect the external webcam, the computer is back to normal.

What is odd is that other than using webcam, computer runs really fast, even on hard tasks like editing video on camtasia, for example. (See Specs below).

IMPORTANT to say that the issue happens either if i’m using the laptop screen directly OR if I’m using external monitors connected via HDMI (Tried 2 monitors. They work fine).

## QUESTIONS:

1) Is it my machine or have you guys had this problem also with the same model or similar models?

2) Could it be the video board?

# LAPTOP SPECS #

• VIDEO - NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    • PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ i7-8565U

1.8GHz quad-core with Turbo Boost (up to 4.0GHz) and 8MB cache

• RAM - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard
    • HD - 512 GB M.2 PCIe Gen3x2 NVMe SSD

This discussion has been closed.