Double tap to turn off display

skylerwolfeskylerwolfe Level 3
edited September 2020 in ZenFone 6

Ok, I will admit this is picky and maybe it is just me. I often have to try 2-4 times double tapping on the status bar to get the screen to turn off. It often will activate the notification shade to drop down on the first tap and then the second tap is ineffective. I've tried using the top right corner vs center etc but all the same. The last device I had offered the same function but I only rarely had that issue. Maybe it is just me? Not the biggest issue in the world, obviously but just wanted to throw it out there in case there is some way to adjust the sensitivity of this in the firmware in the future to make it more reliable.

Comments

• Exactly, it is not only you, I can confirm this. Fortunately, you can use this gesture above any empty place on the homescreen.

I use the Nova launcher myself. I used these two gestures for that: two finger rotation clockwise and anticlockwise, both of which I set to the screen lock. These gestures work seamlessly anywhere on the home screen (above any icons or widgets, no problem).

• Yeah, I use Nova too, but I don't use FP to unlock so the only functionality that I have found with Nova or Tasker is to lock the display, which I would prefer not to do. I really just wanna turn off display. So sometimes after failing with the double tap twice I just push the power button. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• I see.

I don't use FP to unlock

OT: What do you use instead?

• The ZenUI tap-tap to sleep works on any empty location in the home screen.

When using that on the status bar itself, there could be instances where it confuses the double tap for a swipe , depending on exactly how you do it..

As a side note;

Tap-tap to Wake works towards the center of the screen, and not towards the edges (to better avoid mis-touches that wakes the screen).

• Yeah, it seems to often misinterpret a tap as a swipe on the status bar, even when I am very careful to do it. Never had that issue on my previous phone (or maybe it would happen once every 50 times instead of once every 2-3 times like now). If it can improve, great, if not I'll survive.

• We'll pass it to devs and see if they can improve it in the future.

However, wouldnt a double-tap on the status bar be more complicated to execute vs. just a press of the power button? Esp. if held in one hand? Even if it would be working 100% accurate, it is still a tiny area to double-press on - as opposed to an empty home-screen area.

Albeit, this way you can do it "inside apps" but somehow just pressing power button.. might be faster?

• However, wouldnt a double-tap on the status bar be more complicated to execute vs. just a press of the power button? Esp. if held in one hand?

Oh yeah, sure, but the probable primary reason here will be to extend the lifetime of the hardware button.

• Power button is ok. I'm just so used to doing it from my previous phone. Often, for example, I'm at work the phone is sitting on my desk and I reach over to double tap the screen to wake it up while I'm listening to a podcast so that I can fast forward through an advertisement. After fast forwarding I would then double tap to turn off the screen again without having to pick up the phone during the process. To press the power button is a little more awkward (sometimes I accidentally hit volume down or the smart key), but again, not a huge deal. I'll end up getting used to it.

My main interest was that it worked so well on my previous phone with a smaller screen that I was surprised that it was more tempermental with the larger screen.

• As a workaround, you can use this gesture above any empty place on the homescreen, if you have any empty place of course :)

• I think just on stock launcher. I use Nova, but thanks for the tip.

• VS-KRVS-KR Level 4
    edited November 2019

"Empty space", yes ...

But you need to consider the hitbox of your elements on screen, mostly with widgets ! They appear, most of the time, small but they take a lot of space ! Look at the time widget by default, left and right sides are the widget itself.

Long press on them to see how large they are !

• @VS-KR

That's why I personally use this

A use the Nova launcher myself. I used these two gestures for that: two finger rotation clockwise and anticlockwise, both of which I set to the screen lock. These gestures work seamlessly anywhere on the home screen (above any icons or widgets, no problem).

• ZenUI launche's hitbox are in fact extremely bigger ...

• I dosnt even know that this is a built-in feature :)

I use Microsoft launcher and it need special privileges to work with douple tap for empty homescreen to lock the screen.

• I think I've found that if I tap the status bar veeeery gently, it more reliably works as intended. As if I tap harder the larger surface area that my finger makes instead activates the notification shade. Maybe that sensitivity can be adjusted. But I have started to adjust to it a bit.

• Current mechanism for detecting touch in the status bar: center of the area pressed.

new proposed mechanism: if the pressed area collide with status bar, treat as clicked status bar despite the center of area pressed may not lie in status bar.

• I don't have problem to Double tap to sleep, but sometimes double tap to wake does not work well(30% chance if I tap gently)

• Double Tap to Wake wont listen to trigger toward the top and side edges of the phone.

Bottom/Center works.

This is intentional to prevent "ghost taps" when just grabbing the device in the hand.

With this knowledge, could you see if tap-tap-to-wake works more "consistently"?

This discussion has been closed.