This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double tap to turn off display

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
Ok, I will admit this is picky and maybe it is just me. I often have to try 2-4 times double tapping on the status bar to get the screen to turn off. It often will activate the notification shade to drop down on the first tap and then the second tap is ineffective. I've tried using the top right corner vs center etc but all the same. The last device I had offered the same function but I only rarely had that issue. Maybe it is just me? Not the biggest issue in the world, obviously but just wanted to throw it out there in case there is some way to adjust the sensitivity of this in the firmware in the future to make it more reliable.
17 REPLIES 17

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
The ZenUI tap-tap to sleep works on any empty location in the home screen.
When using that on the status bar itself, there could be instances where it confuses the double tap for a swipe , depending on exactly how you do it..

As a side note;
Tap-tap to Wake works towards the center of the screen, and not towards the edges (to better avoid mis-touches that wakes the screen).

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
CH_ASUS

The ZenUI tap-tap to sleep works on any empty location in the home screen.

When using that on the status bar itself, there could be instances where it confuses the double tap for a swipe , depending on exactly how you do it..

As a side note;

Tap-tap to Wake works towards the center of the screen, and not towards the edges (to better avoid mis-touches that wakes the screen).

View post
Yeah, it seems to often misinterpret a tap as a swipe on the status bar, even when I am very careful to do it. Never had that issue on my previous phone (or maybe it would happen once every 50 times instead of once every 2-3 times like now). If it can improve, great, if not I'll survive.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
skylerwolfe

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/28677#Comment_28677

Yeah, it seems to often misinterpret a tap as a swipe on the status bar, even when I am very careful to do it. Never had that issue on my previous phone (or maybe it would happen once every 50 times instead of once every 2-3 times like now). If it can improve, great, if not I'll survive.

View post
We'll pass it to devs and see if they can improve it in the future.
However, wouldnt a double-tap on the status bar be more complicated to execute vs. just a press of the power button? Esp. if held in one hand? Even if it would be working 100% accurate, it is still a tiny area to double-press on - as opposed to an empty home-screen area.
Albeit, this way you can do it "inside apps" but somehow just pressing power button.. might be faster?

_jis_
Zen Master III
However, wouldnt a double-tap on the status bar be more complicated to execute vs. just a press of the power button? Esp. if held in one hand?
Oh yeah, sure, but the probable primary reason here will be to extend the lifetime of the hardware button.

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/28712#Comment_28712

We'll pass it to devs and see if they can improve it in the future.

However, wouldnt a double-tap on the status bar be more complicated to execute vs. just a press of the power button? Esp. if held in one hand? Even if it would be working 100% accurate, it is still a tiny area to double-press on - as opposed to an empty home-screen area.

Albeit, this way you can do it "inside apps" but somehow just pressing power button.. might be faster?

View post
Power button is ok. I'm just so used to doing it from my previous phone. Often, for example, I'm at work the phone is sitting on my desk and I reach over to double tap the screen to wake it up while I'm listening to a podcast so that I can fast forward through an advertisement. After fast forwarding I would then double tap to turn off the screen again without having to pick up the phone during the process. To press the power button is a little more awkward (sometimes I accidentally hit volume down or the smart key), but again, not a huge deal. I'll end up getting used to it.
My main interest was that it worked so well on my previous phone with a smaller screen that I was surprised that it was more tempermental with the larger screen.