This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock Bootloader on Zenfone 9 and Zenfone 10

totmakina
Star III

 Because the bootloader could not be unlocked on Zenfone 9, I decided to write to Asus Support to be told when it would be possible to unlock the bootloader on Z9 and Z10. The response I received was that it would no longer be possible to unlock the boot on any of these phones. Upon receiving this news I decided not to buy the Z10. I think it is a big mistake that Asus has decided that the boot cannot be unlocked. I don't know if they will change their mind, but there will be many of us who decide NOT to buy it.

IMG_20230804_201848_727.jpg

53 REPLIES 53

ToKrCZ
Star III

I have received the very same info from Asus Czechia, they do not support unlocking bootloader for Zenfone 9 or 10 at the moment and that is simply that. From my point of view, they have time until the end of Q3 as promised here on forums, then we need some massive boycott of this joke of a company that literaly does not care one bit for their customers.

Do not buy anything from Asus, that is the only way from now on.

lambrosgg
Star III

Wow this is unacceptable. Being able to unlock the bootloader has been a selling point for Zenfones for years.  They can't just take it back.  I was actually considering upgrading to the ZF10 because I love the 9, but if they don't change this back I am never buying a Zenfone again. 

landsome
Rising Star II

This news is particularly annoying given the short term that Asus offers for OS and security updates. I think that, long-term, they'll lose with this. After all, Asus is still a marginal player on the smartphone market, with niche products. People who buy niche products from relatively small manufacturers want options.  

danielhep
Star I

Very glad to see this thread before the US release of the ZF10. I will just purchase the S23 now instead of waiting, I am not willing to buy a phone permanently locked down by the manufacturer. If I was I'd just get an iPhone.

Aligosla
Rising Star I

Wow, more and more disappointed in Asus! An email with that message is unacceptable, I hope they reverse it soon