Android 13 Bluetooth issues

TranceFormer
Star II
  1. Model Name: Zenfone 9
  2. Firmware Version: 33.0804.2060.113
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted. 
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Daily
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

Hello, I'm having issues with Bluetooth ever since upgrading to Android 13. The main issue appears to be isolated when connecting to cars (both Android Auto and without).

While using Android Auto, my contacts don't sync , so I cannot tell who is calling me. When the car is turned off, the Bluetooth icon does not go away, and I have to cycle airplane mode to disconnect it. The phone itself is disconnected from the car though, just the icon persists. And at least once a day, simply connecting to either car will make my phone freeze; I have to reset it (power button + volume down) to get it back on.

In the car without Android Auto, I also experience persisting icon and phone freezing. The only difference is the contacts do sync.

I had none of these issues with Android 12. I've reset connections, cleared Bluetooth and Android Auto cache/files, uninstalled and re installed Android Auto from Play store, and unpaired and repaired my phone with the cars. Nothing helps.

Interestingly connecting and disconnecting to wireless ear buds is no problem and works as it should.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated, especially for the phone freezing up part.

Thanks! 

13 REPLIES 13

@TranceFormer Yes it happens, usually when it happens the person on the other end says I sound really gargled and then when the call ends I can't end it and the phone's just black and I have to hit a hard reset.  The most frustrating thing about it is everything works except the ability to talk through Bluetooth in my car which is important.  When I leave my car the phones stays connected to it until I toggle Bluetooth off and on.  In my car when a phone call comes in I have to answer it on the cars screen and end the call on the car screen.  The phone doesn't show I'm in a phone call other than me talking through it.  If I forget to toggle Bluetooth off and on again I can't switch any volume settings or go to speaker phone it's just thinks it's connected to my car.  Not sure if this helps hopefully someone will read this and at least validate their is a problem and they are working to resolve it.  Otherwise I will never buy another Asus product, just feels were abandoned.

Dazy
Star I

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by disabling the Bluetooth access in location.

@Dazy I couldn't deal with the problem any longer and bought a Pixel 7 and have zero problems.  I couldn't believe the lack of help even after sending in the phone for "Repair".  I feel I wasted $800 and will never buy a Asus product again. 

TranceFormer
Star II

@DazyI tried checking my location access (it is already off). The website you linked also had instructions to adjust Android Auto from modifying system access/settings. I turned this off too, but still have the same issues.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I'm wondering if it's a software issue (after the A13 update) or some Bluetooth module malfunction.