This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Star III

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

108 REPLIES 108

non response from a bot.  Where is ASUS Legal?  Our Zenfone 8's are defective.  It is a manufacturers defect.  ASUS should replace units with this issue regardless of warranty status.  Please advise ASUS Legal department.

Sue Class Action Defective Defect

I told the mod and the service centre per email already to escalate this to the correct department but all i get is the same canned responses stating that the warranty is already expired. No one wants to do anything.

So class action law suit appears to be the right way. Besides of course spreading the terrible experience.

Same here. Via local regional Asus center contact with Asus Taiwan, which is responsible for all their worldwide centers. They choose to dodge straight on questions. Replies are indeed the same. Copy paste. And 'every situation is different'. In other words, there is no technical issue with our product or at least we keep quiet about it in the hope it will blow over. Or people are stupid enough to pay for repair or even buy a new Asus product. Or they simply factored in that people will walk away frustrated and losing customers and getting a bad reputation is okay to Asus. 

When this is the case and a change in this is not to be expected soon, there are two options.

One is going the juridical route. Possible, but difficult, since every region have their own jurisdiction.

Second is to go online indeed. Preferably the reviewers, the YouTube channels with a big following. They need to address this. Personally I think it is their task, especially the ones who ranked these phones high and could have induced people to get one. Like me. When a product or a service turns out to be not as good as initially thought or suggested, they have to come back on that. 

Another user in this thread and I have contacted a couple of these reviewers. Until now without any reaction unfortunately. As long as we can keep threads like these alive and growing it will only help...

DanielGP
Star II

It is frustrating the situation with Asus. Warranty support isn't a real solution, is there anything technical that can be done? I don't mind tearing up apart my phone, after all, I opened about 6 months ago to replace the battery.