cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader unlock, ramdump, and warranty coverage

offanad
Star I
Hello,
In following the threads, it seems that there has been some varying experiences regarding ASUS warranty and the ramdump issue. Many users have reported a ramdump without unlocking their bootloader and rooting their phone, and they have been directed to the closest ASUS repair center as part of their warranty coverage.
Other uses report having unlocked their bootloader, getting the ramdump error, and then being told that because the bootloader was unlocked, that this voids the warranty. Conversely, other users unlock their bootloader, get the ramdump error, and then have their phones fixed under the warranty.
In short, does unlocking the bootloader void ASUS's warranty coverage if a ramdump error occurs, which is a known error that is not dependent on bootloader status. A moderator reply would be helpful in sorting this out.
Much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Irene2_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi @offanad,
If the unlock device can be turn off after ramdump and the service team can verify that the software is not being tampered then it should be covered. Bear in mind that we don't recommend to unlock bootloader.

Par4nomaly
Star I
Irene2_ASUS

Hi @offanad,

If the unlock device can be turn off after ramdump and the service team can verify that the software is not being tampered then it should be covered. Bear in mind that we don't recommend to unlock bootloader.

View post
what do you mean by "tampered software"? Is there any reason of unlocking bootloader and don't useing custom software? Or may do u mean by this only custom roms? Could you clarify?

ronald1985
Community Legend I
Par4nomaly

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/188424#Comment_188424

what do you mean by "tampered software"? Is there any reason of unlocking bootloader and don't useing custom software? Or may do u mean by this only custom roms? Could you clarify?

View post
Tampered software = bootloader has been unlocked at least once.
Even if you restore back to original full firmware and relock the bootloader, your warranty was already gone (voided) the first time the bootloader is unlocked.