This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Zen Fone 10 instead of S23

jimson8
Star I

To start I still don't like the size and feel of the S23 coming from an S10e after a few months.

The video of the women comparing ZF10 vs Samsung S23 was a bit shocking to me.

The 5.9 inch ZF 10 is actually longer (though less wide) then the S23 6.1?

I had to buy the S23 because my s10e had finally bit the dust. I knew it the specs improved on the ZF 10 I would bite the bullet and sell the S23 to get back to a smaller phone......

But it's not? It's the same height and thicker. What am I missing here when they say it's 5.8 vs 6.1?

At this point I'll stick with the S23 if I'm not gaining a noticable feeling of having a smaller phone.

6 REPLIES 6

Xenda
Star III

You'll choose the Z10 over the S23 mostly because one prefers the near stock-android feel of the Z10.

It also has a few other advantages like:

Non-slippery back

All Aptx codecs (Samsungs still refuses to implement anything other than Aptx standard, despite using Qualcomm SoC).

3.5mm jack

Xenda
Star III

I must also add that Asus has so many smart features/settings, it's more like stock android +! 🙂

landsome
Rising Star II

Having had both the ZF9 and the S23 for a relatively long time (esp. the ZF9), I have compared them head-to-head in every way possible.

In terms of size, the ZF9 is clearly much handier. They are equally tall, but the Asus phone is almost 3mm narrower, which is quite substantial.

Also, if you do not use a case, the Asus will be much less slippery and less prone to serious damage if it falls. That said, I appreciate the thinner S23 and I like its small, unobtrusive camera  bumps. I deeply dislike the ZF9's bulging cameras - though aesthetically they look nice, I admit. 

In terms of sheer software customizations, both offer excellent options - I would say they are comparable in this respect. But Asus wins on stock Android, if this is your cup of tea (it is mine); it's also friendlier to Nova Launcher (I have not tried other third-party launchers). Still, I have to admit Samsung has made a big step forward with the latest OneUIs., though it's still bloated.

Audio-wise, Asus wins hands down with the 3.5" jack and the BT codecs. The speakers are absolutely comparable - and both phones are very good.

Where the S23 has a massive upper hand is in two departments: screen brightness (Samsung is amazing in direct sunlight); and camera (though both are way too cheerful with the colors). The S23 does far better on zoom given its tele and, most importantly, is much more reliable. Asus does rather poorly with pets and kids; and has a problem with red or deep purple flowers (totally messes up their textures if in bright sunlight).

A hard pick. I have stayed with the ZF9 - but that's because I always have my Pixel 4 and 5 at hand. 

berto35
Rising Star II

I have the Zenfone 9 and the S23 and I like both phones.  I would say this, if you care more about pictures and software/security updates stay with the S23.