This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow charging Zenfone 10 to improve battery health

shephardc4
Star I

I just got a discount and bought ZF10, included inside was a 30W original charger. From what I read, using low-watt chargers could help decrease charging temperature and extend battery life by not stressing the battery with high amperes, while at the cost of slowing down charging. I don't mind charging slowly as a nights sleep is several hours long. Can I just use my old 10W Xiaomi charger (5V, 2A) to charge it daily? Will it damage the phone?

I also have this habit of charging it with the 10W charger while it is still around 20% and stopped while its 70%. Some sources says batteries don't like staying in 0-10% level and 90-100% level for too long because it stresses the battery. Anyone can vouch for this or is it a hoax?

3 REPLIES 3

Hello shephardc4,

in regard charging battery: use 5W charger and charge it during the night. 
I'm used to do it with all my last smarphone and I can assure you the battery will last long.
Fast charging is something that customers asked for, as well as the bigger screen, that is no necessarily useful.
Except for standard 5V 1A charger I would not risk battery using even a 5V 2A because there could be differencies in frequences output that can damage battery. 

In regard battery percentage: it's more or less correct in principle, specially for what concern the lower level -  something I've heard from people that works in this field - should be better to charge you phone at 20% (10% is too low) and stop it at 90% (there is a dedicated menu in ZF about this). 
It is also not recommended to keep the phone plugged to charger after 100% but, again, basing on my personal experience, I didn't got any issue due to keeping smartphone plugged in after it reached 100% of charge, especially if we're used to do it during the night...probably it's related to fast chargers, not standard ones (5V1A) and I do not see any problem in general because batteries nowadays have got microchips that turn off energy once reached the maximum charge.

It's probably something to say, from manufacturers legal point of view, to keep out any responsibility.

Agreed - honestly, you can use the bundled charger and just limit using software. Mine defaults to Steady Charge which charges slower, and Max charge of 80%, and Scheduled Charge between certain hours allows it to charge VERY slowly and ramp up to max closer to the end of the scheduled period. It's quite handy to have these all in tandem. I have never charged my phone above 80%.

shephardc4
Star I

@shephardc4 wrote:

I just got a discount and bought ZF10, included inside was a 30W original charger. From what I read, using low-watt chargers could help decrease charging temperature and extend battery life by not stressing the battery with high amperes, while at the cost of slowing down charging. I don't mind charging slowly as a nights sleep is several hours long. Can I just use my old 10W Xiaomi charger (5V, 2A) to charge it daily? Will it damage the phone?

I also have this habit of charging it with the 10W charger while it is still around 20% and stopped while its 70%. Some sources says batteries don't like staying in 0-10% level and 90-100% level for too long because it stresses the battery. Anyone can vouch for this or is it a hoax?

i got this... https://vidmate.onl/