This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader not working

Ittastic
Star I

I got my Zenfone 10 yesterday and haven't been able to get the fingerprint reader  to take a single reading. Both my finger and the reader are clean but it gives me the "fingerprint capture unclear" error or doesn't even seem to try. I'm enjoying everything else about the phone, but I'm a bit disappointed about this because it seems like it would be such a seamless way to unlock it if the reader worked.

6 REPLIES 6

Mansi_ASUS

Hey @Ittastic,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll forward the issue to the R&D, however, before I do that I'd recommend you perform an SMMI test to check if the fingerprint sensor is working:

• Open the calculator app, type " .12345+= ", then SMMI Test Interface will pop up
  • Select "single test" and then "Fingerprint test"

Hi @Mansi_ASUS ,

Thanks for your reply! Did mean to say to select "Fingerprint test"? I ran both just to be sure. They both passed, so I'm not sure what's going on with the fingerprint reader. I've tried multiple fingers and none of them will work.

Hey @Ittastic,
Sorry, I goofed up. I meant to write the fingerprint test.😅
Since the SMMI test came out positive, it rules out the HW issue.
However, can you help clarify the following:

• Were you able to successfully set the fingerprint as a mode to unlock the phone? (Setting>Security & Lock Screen>Screen Lock>Biometrics>Fingerprint)
  • Is the system able to identify the fingerprints? (Setting>Security & Lock Screen>Fingerprint)

No, I'm unable to set a fingerprint at all, even during initial setup of the phone. When I try, the fingerprint glows blue slightly, and then that blue goes away and it gives me the "fingerprint capture unclear" error. Sometimes it does nothing when I put my finger on the sensor. I tried multiple fingers and factory resetting the phone and it still does the same. My fingerprints have no damage to them and they are clean, as is the sensor. The under-screen fingerprint reader on my OnePlus 7 Pro is able to read my prints consistently, so I don't think it's an issue with my fingers.