This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ScreenXpert bugs and frustration (UX482EAR)

Rodnei
Star II
System: ZenBook Duos
Battery or AC: 60% ("Modo de resolução máxima" configuration in MyASUS to save battery life)
Model: UX482EAR (Brazil)
Frequency of occurrence: all the time unless ScreenXpert is permanently disable (preventing the service from starting up with Windows)
Reset OS: What?
Screenshot or video: annexed
========================
Detailed description:
First post here, just to vent it out.
Zenbook Duo UX482EAR Brazilian version, bougth less than 2 months ago.
After several Windows reinstallations i finally figured out my problem, the buggy ScreenXpert is the culprit. It's a very specific problem, but it was preventing me of utilize the notebook to work with (wich was the purpose of the purchase in the first place).
I work with medical images and my main source of them is in a website. When i open an exam i need to drag and drop the thumbnails of the various sequences of the exam and distribute them in their fields, then analyse then. To be clear, IT'S JUST A WEBSITE RUNNING IN A BROWSER, nothing too fancy, it always had just worked with any computer with any version of Windows, Linux, OSX
Except with my brand new Zenbook Duo. You can see how it behaves in the video annexed below. It happens in ANY browser, EDGE, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, it happens even if the browser is running inside a virtualized Windows with VMWare.
After 5 windows reinstallations and updating and drivers and MYAsus and everything else, i finally found the problem: the touch of the secondary screen, or the driver or god knows what, i don't know why, interferes in some very specific and bizarre way with dragging things in the aforementioned website. It happens in the main screen, in the secondary screen, in the external monitor i have, it happens with bluetooth mouse, with USB mouse, with the integrated touchpad...
When the two HID touch devices in Device Manager are disabled, the problem is solved (i just need to reopen the webpage).
But then enters the horrible ScreenXpert software, wich reenables the HID touch devices in Device Manager by itself every time the windows screen blocks (very annoying), and the problem returns.
There is no way to configure or manage the ScreenXpert software apart from the very limited interface in the secondary screen. There is no way to control this misbehaved software, wich by the way install itself automatticaly with windows update.
My final solution is to disable ScreenXpert software permanently in msconfig, preventing its services from starting up, without it i can't control the brightness of the secondary screen, but at least i don't need to disable the secundary touch screen in Device Manager many times a day to be able to access a simples website.
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
check my post on how to stop screenxpert and myasus from reinstalling themselves, i would like to ask asus to provide a seperate software for the brightness of the lowest screen.

Falcon_ASUS
Rodnei

Everything else in Windows works flawlessly, no other bug beside this weird website conundrum with the touch of the secondary screen.

At first i thought that was a Windows bug, and I even tried virtualizing with VMWare in the notebook with different Windows 11 versions (21H2 and 22H2), Windows 7 and Linux.

Strangely, with the virtualized Windows 11 enviroments (22H1 and 22H2) the bug persists, but with virtualized Linux or Windows 7 there is no bug.

View post
@Rodnei
May I know is this situation still exists in other laptops with Windows 11 system?

Rodnei
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/240230#Comment_240230

@Rodnei

May I know is this situation still exists in other laptops with Windows 11 system?

View post
Nope.
I bought this UX482EAR alongside other UX5401ZA (Zenbook 14X OLED), they arrived together.
The bug only occurs with the dual screen, the OLED is fine.
It's a weird bug but is related in some way with the touch screen function of the secondary screen, and the buggy ScreenXpert wich keeps reactivating them.
Deactivating both (the HID touch device of the secundary screen and the ScreenXpert software) solve the problem, but i'm unable to control the brightness of the secondary screen (because, you know, buggy ScreenXpert).

Falcon_ASUS
Rodnei

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/241366#Comment_241366

Nope.

I bought this UX482EAR alongside other UX5401ZA (Zenbook 14X OLED), they arrived together.

It's a weird bug but is related in some way with the touch screen function of the secondary screen, and the buggy ScreenXpert wich keeps reactivating them.

Deactivating both (the HID touch device of the secundary screen and the ScreenXpert software) solve the problem, but i'm unable to control the brightness of the secondary screen (because, you know, buggy ScreenXpert).

View post
@Rodnei
I will forward the information to the relevant department.
We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

Falcon_ASUS
Rodnei

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/241366#Comment_241366

Nope.

View post
@Rodnei
I have sent you a message, please check.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.