This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivobook TP4201A - battery not charging at all - orange LED blinking on and off

unitato
Star I

The battery on my Vivobook TP4201A is always at zero percent, and never charges. Left the laptop connected to the AC adapter even when switched off all night, and in the morning the battery was still at zero. Entering the BIOS, and leaving it on the first screen, with battery charge graphic, again for hours on end, still shows the battery at zero percent, never charging. Same goes for Windows and Linux.

Orange LED on the side flashes on and off continuously whenever power A/C is plugged, even when laptop is switched off. White LED next to it lights up steadily when laptop is on.  To be clear BOTH orange and white LEDs are on, white always on, orange blinking.    If the power A/C is removed or switched off, the laptop will switch off immediately, as if there is no battery at all.

BIOS Version is 305 or 3.05, which seems to be the latest. Again, both in the included Windows, and on Linux as well as the BIOS screen itself, the battery is never charging

Otherwise a beautiful laptop and great value for money considering the fast processor.... but obviously I cannot use it as a laptop at the moment, but just a desktop!

Help please! And thanks in advance

Unitato

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unitato
Star I

Following my post, I opened up the laptop and discovered the battery cable had popped off.  Watching the video below helped me reconnect it correctly.  While the laptop in it  is not the TP4201a, the battery connectors and their placement are identical.  You need to push down with some strength, and ensure the metal tab slides back to cover the plastic connector properly, otherwise it might pop off again. 

Now, White led is on, and orange led is also constantly on, not blinking this time, and charging is at 7% a few minutes after tuning the laptop back on....

https://youtu.be/KgInFAezCCM?si=WXcN-tjDKYsq2jnQ&t=472

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

unitato
Star I

Following my post, I opened up the laptop and discovered the battery cable had popped off.  Watching the video below helped me reconnect it correctly.  While the laptop in it  is not the TP4201a, the battery connectors and their placement are identical.  You need to push down with some strength, and ensure the metal tab slides back to cover the plastic connector properly, otherwise it might pop off again. 

Now, White led is on, and orange led is also constantly on, not blinking this time, and charging is at 7% a few minutes after tuning the laptop back on....

https://youtu.be/KgInFAezCCM?si=WXcN-tjDKYsq2jnQ&t=472

@unitato 
Thanks for the update.