cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivobook S 14 Flip OLED (TP3402ZA) - Windows animations lag

speechless
Star I

Hello everyone,

I've purchased Vivobook as in subject. Out of the box, all Windows animations are terribly lagging. Sometimes bit less, never not at all ...unless switched off :). I played with display's resolution, refresh rate, power management, no improvement. I've turned off display related options from my Asus, also no gain in smoothness.

It's i7 12700H, 16GB RAM, 1TB Intel SSD, OLED and even though it has only Iris Xe integrated GPU, I wouldn't expect it to lag so much. All drivers are up to date. I've read many people have such issue in higher resolutions but in my case resolution decrease does not help. Also, I didn't find anything about this exact model or any other with similarly strong components (except for GPU).

Other to that laptop boots almost instantly and works nicely. It came in originally sealed box and even though promo lid sticker wasn't in the perfect shape (it had something I'd call nails' marks ;)) there was no speck of dust on it. Windows original dates and any other checks does not suggest it was refurbished or previously used - if it makes any difference.

Any help or suggestion would be very appreciated.

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

Falcon_ASUS

@speechless
Could you please provide a video for me to confirm?
If you are a newly purchased laptop and have concerns about the product, I would recommend that you report to your dealer to see if you can return or exchange the product.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

speechless
Star I

Thank you @Falcon_ASUS ,

1. No chance of returning. Here, where I purchased it, there's no such policy unless it's purchased online. And, if you opened anything / used it, you will struggle even if you have purchased it online. Also, I hope bit damaged promo sticker (the big one, on the lid) does not mean laptop was used or refurbished. Other to that everything was squeaky clean, including Windows installation and boot data.

2. I'm attaching video. Changed settings to 200% scaling so it'd look better. Most of the times it's much worse than this, rarely works perfectly fine (like once a day :)).

3. Another thing happened which was strange. We have admin and standard user accounts. We couldn't change the wallpaper on the user account, it kept resetting back to default Asus wallpaper within 10 seconds. I've turned off settings backup and it stopped resetting (even though system said it wasn't syncing). But funny, just when I was going to make this recording on admin account (default background), wallpaper changed itself to the one set on the user account. I've changed it back to Asus default, logged into user account and voila, 3 mins later custom wallpaper on user account changed to the default one. It looks like working both ways, changing wallpapers on both accounts. Group policies are not set. Never seen such behaviour before.

I have a feeling we will go for full reset over the weekend... Any help before is much appreciated.

Regards,

@speechless 
In your current situation, I would also suggest you try to recovery the system.
[Windows 11/10] How to reset the PC and remove all of my personal files, apps and settings 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

speechless
Star I

Hi again @Falcon_ASUS ,

I wish to thank you for all your efforts. I was going to perform full reset when I've noticed lagging problem was gone. Some would say magic... I really cannot get the difference. The only updated driver was Asus System driver - maybe that was it. I've used laptop extensively, having all graphic options maxed out (resolution, refresh rate, colors, everything I found) and all animations, but most importantly whole system, all apps, work like a charm. 

For the background issue, I believe the culprit was Asus optimization service, in particular OLED shifting, which kept its wallpapers cached and was switching to them all the time. I've removed those and the problem didn't repeat itself. So far.

Thanks again and all the best!