This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotify only working while VPN is on

C3rb3ru5
Star II

So I got my hands on a ROG Phone and tried to use Spotify at work using Mobile Data. When I tried to play music, it wouldn't load at all, giving me the message "Something went wrong. Have another go?"

I tried a few things and as soon as I turned on CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 WARP it worked again.

But as soon as I turned it off, Spotify crapped itself again and refused to work.

I researched for over 4 hours, and tried any and all solution I found online but to no avail. 

I contacted Spotify Support and had an awesome support employee, but not even Spotify Support could help with the issue.

Does anybody have the same problem or does Spotify just not like my phone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

C3rb3ru5
Star II

I solved it!

For anybody having the same trouble as me, here is what needs to be done:

Go to phone settings. Put "APN" into the search bar. Go into the APN that you are connected to. Scroll down to "APN Protocol" and change it from "IPv4" to "IPv4/IPv6".

No need to clear Spotify App Cache before using this method as it works even if not cleared.

Apparently, the standard APN Protocol in my case was IPv4 and Spotify needs both network types to work properly.

Thanks to all the people who tried to help me with my issue, it was greatly appreciated!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

stephen378
Star I

Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor glitches. Close the Spotify app completely (you can do this by clicking the ‘x’ in the top right corner), wait a few seconds, and then reopen it. Restarting your phone can help refresh system processes and clear any temporary issues. Try turning off your ROG Phone and then turning it back on. Ensure that your Spotify app is up to date. Visit the Google Play Store, search for Spotify, and check if there are any pending updates. If so, install them. Go to your phone’s Settings > Apps > Spotify. Clear the app cache and data. This step can often resolve issues related to offline cache, random crashes, or degraded sound quality. If the mobile app continues to misbehave, consider using Spotify Web. You can access it through a web browser on your phone. Visit the Spotify Web Player and log in with your account. 

I did all the things you listed but it did not fix the issue. Tried to use the Web Player but that won't work either

C3rb3ru5
Star II

I solved it!

For anybody having the same trouble as me, here is what needs to be done:

Go to phone settings. Put "APN" into the search bar. Go into the APN that you are connected to. Scroll down to "APN Protocol" and change it from "IPv4" to "IPv4/IPv6".

No need to clear Spotify App Cache before using this method as it works even if not cleared.

Apparently, the standard APN Protocol in my case was IPv4 and Spotify needs both network types to work properly.

Thanks to all the people who tried to help me with my issue, it was greatly appreciated!

spotifyinfo
Star I

If Spotify only works when your VPN is on, it's likely due to regional restrictions. Check out our full guide on the Best VPNs for Spotify to ensure seamless access from anywhere. You'll find recommendations to help you enjoy your music without interruptions.