This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi just stopped working on the ROG Phone 5s

StalkerPhantom
Star II

So I was running the Rog phone 5s without updating it for quite a while( i didn't update is cuz I heard about these issues) so today I had to factory reset the phone and I think it auto updated? Cuz my wifi doesn't work anymore, no matter what I try, I've never rooted the device and this device hasn't been exposed to high temps(or even reached high temps) after looking at all the posts about people having this issue I'm completely lost, is Asus going to do something about it? Is there a class action lawsuit? How do I fix it cuz there is no way I'm paying for a motherboard replacement and the phone is out of warranty as well. Tried flashing the latest firmware and OS on their official website , didn't help a single bit, safe mode didn't help either.

Ethernet and mobile data do work, so how do I go around this wifi issue as all I've heard and seen till now is either motherboard replacement from an authorised service centre or some shop opening the phone and replacing the chip which looks shady , any ideas what to do? 

I thought what if I could get a usb c dongle for wifi but I don't seem to see on(atleast on Amazon India) this solution seems impractical as well

When is Asus going to do something about this?will going to small claims help?

Before someone tells me to go near the router and check my router listen up

I try to switch on wifi or for that matter mobile hotspot which never seem to turn on , it shows wifi mac address unavailable and im not able to see any networks in the vicinity although I've tested my networks with other phones as well

S21 ultra and s21 fe , same dist as Rog phone from router (~50 cm) 5Ghz max signal strength, iphone x shows the same results as well. I've tried another router as well with the same results.

Another question too, aren't wifi and Bluetooth supposed to be handled by the same chip? Bluetooth works fine this totally seems like a software issue? Why is Asus asking us to replace the motherboard, are they trying to cover up a defect in the board by making us replace it and purposefully issuing a software update to brick wifi connectivity??

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, always willing to learn new stuff ^⁠_⁠^

8 REPLIES 8

Have You got any updates on Your issue? Just a couple days ago the *exact same* problem occured in my ROG Phone 5. Now wifi, no hotspot, no MAC address, mobile data and bluetooth works.

What's more, I NEVER updated my phone since I bought it a little over 2 years ago (yes, the warranty had just ran out). The currnet version of firmware is 18.0830.2101.86 and was since day one.

StalkerPhantom
Star II

DUDE MY PHONE JUST DIED RIGHT NOW RIGHT INFRONT OF ME , ITS NOT CHARGING NOT TURNING ON NOTHING IS SHOWING UP I HAVE LOADS OF GAME SAVES AND FILES AND PHOTOS ON THIS PHONE . THE SERVICE CENTER NEVER TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD JUST RANDOMLY DIE. I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF ON IT AND MY PC CANT ACCESS THE FILES EITHER WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

IM JUST LEFT CRYING AT THIS POINT I HAD ALOT OF HOPE IN ROG HOW DO I GET MY DATA BACK THERE ARE MEMORIES ON THAT PHONE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO MAN 

IDK IM JUST GOING JUST GOING TO SUE ASUS AT THIS POINT IVE HAD ENOUGH , IDTS IM GOING TO WIN BUT YEA , IM JUST A STUDENT INTO GAMING AND ENJOYING BUT THIS JUST LEFT ME CRYING, SPENDING MYN EARNINGS ON SUCH WASTEFUL DEVICES 

IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS THIS ISSUE PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE IT PLEASE 

That happened to my Rog 3. I had so much heartache too. Now it's sits in a stash in hope that future technology can retrieve it.

I had just backup my Rog 5 after reading your post. Sounds like the update fried our WiFi IC and downgrading won't fix it. I've no solution but do keep the rest of us updated on your endeavour. We do hope for solutions beyond  the template replies with no sincerity from the mods here.

StalkerPhantom
Star II

Hi everyone,

so i spoke to asus support 2 times and they only thing they kept repeating was that its out of warranty and you will have to pay for it , so i was talking to the second agent and told her about how many ppl face this issue, she told me if many people faced this issue then asus would have known and so i went out and made a document containing more than 100 instances of this issue from this forum and sent it to her , the next day i get a call and she says the same thing , pretty disappointing , there are 255 pages to the rog 5 subdiv of this forum i went about 35 pages thru and found 100 instances of this issue , asus isnt going to do anything about it at this point i should just sell the phone for spares, this is very upsetting, i have a whole samsung ecosystem and the one time i decide to trust asus' phones i get such a bad experience. if anyone is sueing asus or wants the 100 instances , ill attach it below.

as for me im getting a s24 ultra and this phone will probably be sold as spares unless asus does something about it  , pretty disappointed.

like my whole pc has asus componenets even the unusual ones such as a psu and case,the mb gpu and aio are also from asus,but the next pc i build will probably not have any asus components after this experience.

also one more thing that i noticed, is when this phone charges (after its dead) it has a slight charge on the metal near the ultrasonic buttons, maybe something is bridged inside the motherboard . 

wow i just realised pdf file format isnt supported so i cant upload it here , if anyone needs it i could send it over email, dm me if possible