noldoli
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: WW_18.0840.2104.56
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone Calls
First off, to give credit where it's due and all, it's a decent phone with a big battery, 3.55mm jack, good screen, fast chips, practically up-to-date Android and its security updates etc. Well done & thanks for all of that.
But then, to my horror and shock, I've discovered that Rog 5 doesn't support VoLTE (and VoWiFi) with any of the three Australian carriers (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone & their respective MNVOs)! That functionality is quite relevant to me: At my workplace, I get decent 4G (thanks to band 28 operating on 700 MHz spectrum) as opposed to 3G operating on higher spectrums. So, the 3G call quality is pretty bad. In addition, my carrier has been slowly discontinuing 3G for eventual minimum-4G-only in a few years. IOW, this problem is going to get only worse for us.
Seeing how even ~$300 segment smartphones are supporting VoLTE (and VoWiFi), I can't believe that Rog 5 costing many hundreds of dollars more dearly doesn't support this essential functionality!
Being generally pleased with the phone, I was honestly going to recommend it to friends and colleagues. However, due to the "phone" feature of this so-called smartphone being stuck in last century for us in Australia, I obviously won't be recommending it to anybody. In fact, I'll make it a point to "enlighten"anybody considering it with this extreme shortcoming, so that they don't make the same mistake as I did: i.e., assuming that an Asus smartphone released in 2021 would support mobile technology from at the very least yesteryears (while it actually does not!).
As a user, I shouldn't have to care/worry about whatever logistical/technical issues you've for getting the essential VoLTE feature (VoWiFi) supported in Australia. How is that a user's problem? So, do get this feature implemented ASAP please.
I won't be fooled for the second time by future Asus phones. Without Asus implementing this feature in Rog 5, regrettably this would be my last Asus phone (and I assure you, so will it be in the circles of my influence too). Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

cheetah2k
Rising Star II
Dont hold your breath. Asus has had 3 chances to sort the VOLTE on this phone (its easily done and free) yet they continue to let all of Australia down. Maybe its a China thing against Australia.. I don't know, but there is literally zero reasons why they can't implement it.
I bought the Rog 3 and have been waiting patiently for something to happen on the 5, but nothing has so Asus won't be getting my money this time round.

Android
Rising Star I
Consider voting and commenting on the "Ideas for Next" section (assuming ASUS still even reads and cares about it).
Android

ASUS needs to make it so that the ROG Phone series is fully compatible with the carriers and networks in regions that they are selling it. The forums have mostly been flooded with demands of VoLTE and in some cases requests for 5G to be enabled in their region. It's the same requests and issues being reported time and time again.

The ROG Phone is first and foremost a phone and it isn't a wise idea to purchase a phone that plays games well but have calls that drop or have trouble receiving messages because it is missing some kind of approval from the carriers or because carriers don't like how the phone doesn't have the bands to support such features. I would've really liked to purchase the ROG Phone 5 but I'm very hesitant because I've read from people here that they have trouble connecting to 5G and VoLTE on T-Mobile.

PLEASE WORK WITH CARRIERS! If it's a money issue then allocate resources from other things into making sure that the ROG Phone meets basic standards expected of phones in 2021.

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

On a side note so I don't have to make another thread about it (especially since I don't think it should even be prioritized), I just want to say that I like how the ROG Phone 5 has theme packs. I think it would be cool to have a Gundam theme pack since ASUS has done a Gundam collaboration recently and released Gundam branded ROG PC components. NieR theme pack would be a cool one too but it's a little niche. But if licensed theme packs can't be done then a cool original mecha theme pack would also be awesome.

Full Carrier Support and Network Compatibility (5G, VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc.) should be #1 Priority
If ASUS is going to sell the phone in Australia then it better damn work with the carriers in Australia.
On my end, from what I gather, ASUS only officially supports VoLTE for one of the three major carriers in the United States (AT&T) and people have to go through additional steps to force VoLTE with T-Mobile. Verizon isn't even compatible at all.
ASUS should allocate their resources into making sure that their phones take full advantage of the network features of the regions they are selling it to.

waxy78611
Zen Master I
noldoli

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Rog 5
  2. Firmware Version: WW_18.0840.2104.56
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone Calls

First off, to give credit where it's due and all, it's a decent phone with a big battery, 3.55mm jack, good screen, fast chips, practically up-to-date Android and its security updates etc. Well done & thanks for all of that.

But then, to my horror and shock, I've discovered that Rog 5 doesn't support VoLTE (and VoWiFi) with any of the three Australian carriers (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone & their respective MNVOs)! That functionality is quite relevant to me: At my workplace, I get decent 4G (thanks to band 28 operating on 700 MHz spectrum) as opposed to 3G operating on higher spectrums. So, the 3G call quality is pretty bad. In addition, my carrier has been slowly discontinuing 3G for eventual minimum-4G-only in a few years. IOW, this problem is going to get only worse for us.

Seeing how even ~$300 segment smartphones are supporting VoLTE (and VoWiFi), I can't believe that Rog 5 costing many hundreds of dollars more dearly doesn't support this essential functionality!

Being generally pleased with the phone, I was honestly going to recommend it to friends and colleagues. However, due to the "phone" feature of this so-called smartphone being stuck in last century for us in Australia, I obviously won't be recommending it to anybody. In fact, I'll make it a point to "enlighten"anybody considering it with this extreme shortcoming, so that they don't make the same mistake as I did: i.e., assuming that an Asus smartphone released in 2021 would support mobile technology from at the very least yesteryears (while it actually does not!).

As a user, I shouldn't have to care/worry about whatever logistical/technical issues you've for getting the essential VoLTE feature (VoWiFi) supported in Australia. How is that a user's problem? So, do get this feature implemented ASAP please.

I won't be fooled for the second time by future Asus phones. Without Asus implementing this feature in Rog 5, regrettably this would be my last Asus phone (and I assure you, so will it be in the circles of my influence too). Thanks

VoLTE/VoWiFi support for Australia
I wish you good luck bud... They haven't released it for the Rog 2 Rog 3 or the Rog 5 in the UK either... I was told 3 months ago they would release it in UK but nothing... But funnily enough they were able to release it for the cheaper Zenfone 8 very quickly... Doesn't make sense

noldoli
Star III

Android

Consider voting and commenting on the "Ideas for Next" section (assuming ASUS still even reads and cares about it).

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/48442/full-carrier-support-and-network-compatibility-5g-volte...

If ASUS is going to sell the phone in Australia then it better damn work with the carriers in Australia.

On my end, from what I gather, ASUS only officially supports VoLTE for one of the three major carriers in the United States (AT&T) and people have to go through additional steps to force VoLTE with T-Mobile. Verizon isn't even compatible at all.

ASUS should allocate their resources into making sure that their phones take full advantage of the network features of the regions they are selling it to.

View post
Yup, done that now in your thread. It's good to know a lot of customers are complaining about ASUS's subpar phone functionalities -- such as lack of VoLTE/VoWiFi functionalities in Rog 5, 3 etc. -- for what's being sold in the "premium priced" market. An example of text book deception by omission. They mislead an innocent customer (like me) by deceptively omitting the fact that they have no VoLTE support in Australia, while quoting all fancy 2G/3G/4G/5G bands the phone supports etc. in marketing material and misleading one to believe that phone fully supports such networks, while it does not. Unethical!