ROG Phone 5 ROG Kunai 3 right controller not working when attached to bumper

Andimoo
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG PHONE 5 / ROG KUNAI 3
Firmware Version: I cannot even check the firmware version nor update it
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):Home screen, Any games
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
307389451-402841308484038-8355633862212018583-n.jpg

The right controller does not work when attached to the bumper. The phone will display this message: "Analog audio accessory detected The attached device is not compatible. Please contact the accessory manufacturer for further support. It used to work for the first few months. It stopped working since around July.
However, the controller does work fine if I connect it to the phone using a USB C cable. Both sides of the controller will work.

How do I solve this issue? I cannot seem to trigger a firmware update as well.

25 REPLIES 25

Andimoo
Star II
Model Name: ROG PHONE 5 / ROG KUNAI 3
Firmware Version: Left controller version V3.3.3 Right controller version Not connected Charger version vff.ff.fe B;uetooth version v3.0.8
The firmware version changes all the time. It seems to depend on how the controller is connected.

When I connect it with USBC cable with the controller set to USB mode both left and right controller shows V 3.10

The right controller does not work when attached to the bumper. The phone will display this message: "Analog audio accessory detected The attached device is not compatible. Please contact the accessory manufacturer for further support. It used to work for the first few months. It stopped working since around July.

However, the controller does work fine if I connect it to the phone using a USB C cable. Both sides of the controller will work.

I can trigger the update using game genie but the update for the controller keeps failing.
Updating: Do not remove your phone from the current accessory

Right controller version V3.1.0

Update failed

It already failed 27 times so I don't think it is going to work.

The serial number of the controller is LCACLZ01E362A54. The warranty has expired. The warranty is only 3 months I guess.

Here is the thing.
This is suppose to the best gaming phone. It is definitely the most expensive one at over $2300 SGD with the controller. It really works well when it works. But this controller thing is really frustrating. Here is why:
The controller has only 3 months warranty. It is a $200SGD controller that can only work for 3 months. Meaning I have to purchase a new one every 3 months. (I have seen reviews of the controller not working with the same issue I have so I assume it is a common problem. Some even have the same problem out of the box.
I was thinking of just gamble a bit and purchase a replacement set and hope it works. But I cannot even purchase a new controller. The Kunai controller for ROG Phone 5 is out of stock everywhere. The Official website does not carry it as well. They only have the ROG phone 6 model.

So.... The only solution if I want to use controller again is to buy the new ROG phone 6? Meaning we have to spend $2300 every year? I was told the controller model might be old hence it is not available at the online store... This thing is just a year old. Do ASUS really expect us to buy a new phone every year and a new controller every 3 months?! Is this how the best gaming phone is supposed to work? Or is there another solution to this?!

If the only solution is for me to purchase the ROG phone 6 then let me know asap.
I will buy a steam deck from valve instead... at half the price and half the headache and frustration

Andimoo
Star II
Firmware Version: Left controller version V3.3.3 Right controller version Not connected Charger version vff.ff.fe B;uetooth version v3.0.8
The firmware version changes all the time. It seems to depend on how the controller is connected.

When I connect it with USBC cable with the controller set to USB mode both left and right controller shows V 3.10

I can trigger the update using game genie but the update for the controller keeps failing.

Update failed

The serial number of the controller is LCACLZ01E362A54. The warranty has expired. The warranty is only 3 months I guess.

Here is the thing.
This is suppose to the best gaming phone. It is definitely the most expensive one at over $2300 SGD with the controller. It really works well when it works. But this controller thing is really frustrating. Here is why:
The controller has only 3 months warranty. It is a $200SGD controller that can only work for 3 months. Meaning I have to purchase a new one every 3 months. (I have seen reviews of the controller not working with the same issue I have so I assume it is a common problem. Some even have the same problem out of the box.
I was thinking of just gamble a bit and purchase a replacement set and hope it works. But I cannot even purchase a new controller. The Kunai controller for ROG Phone 5 is out of stock everywhere. The Official website does not carry it as well. They only have the ROG phone 6 model.

So.... The only solution if I want to use controller again is to buy the new ROG phone 6? Meaning we have to spend $2300 every year? I was told the controller model might be old hence it is not available at the online store... This thing is just a year old. Do ASUS really expect us to buy a new phone every year and a new controller every 3 months?! Is this how the best gaming phone is supposed to work? Or is there another solution to this?!

If the only solution is for me to purchase the ROG phone 6 then let me know asap.
I will buy a steam deck from valve instead... at half the price and half the headache and frustration

Andimoo
Star II

Update failed

Here is the thing.

Andimoo
Star II

Update failed

Here is the thing.

Andimoo
Star II

Update failed

Here is the thing.