ROG KUNAI 3 Update stop function in ROG Phone 5 after Accessories Update

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG PHONE 5 / ROG KUNAI 3
Firmware Version: 18.0840.2104.56 / 3.1.0
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Home screen, Genshin Impact, basically the controller not able to be detected anymore, it keep connecting and disconnecting the in the same time repeatedly without stop once attached the controller
Recently there is an ROG KUNAI 3 accessories update, if not mistaken it is 3.1.0 version, once this update installed.
When ROG KUNAI 3 attach to ROG PHONE 5 with the ROG KUNAI Case, the controller not working normally anymore.
It keep pop out the 'attached device is not compatible...' (please refer to pictures below)
The controller light keep turning on and off with light green light (before update it will having deep green light)
I try to perform control calibration from the youtube instructions but it still didn't fix anything.
I would like to revert my ROG KUNAI 3 Controller back to 3.0.8 version which these issue won't occurred at all.
or please suggest me a solution for this issue.
screenshot-20210722-153842971.jpg
screenshot-20210722-153837833.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
WaitingKy

i just checked it again and found out that only my BT fw is 3.0.8. the left and right controller are both higher than 3.0.8, these fw only appear when you connect via the case. and i didn't experience what you said above

screenshot-20210727-021048284.jpg

View post
did u play game like Genshin Impact? and didnt experience issue i mentioned above?

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
but indeed, weird, there are so many ossie raised in this forum after the latest rog phone software update, i didn't experience any of them.
my rog phone 5 now work really well in all my use case except this Rog Kunai 3 controller issue.

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
moose4261

Hello everyone,

I recently updated the firmware in the Asus ROG Phone 3 to Android 11.

Once attempting to use the Kunai 3 gamepad, it failed to work.

Cleaned the contacts, and troubleshooted the device.

After all attempts failed, I used the firmware downgrade back to Android 10 that is available on the Asus website.

Happy to share that this was the cause of the issue, and the accessory is now working again.

I am not surprised to be honest.

So, if anyone is having issues, I would suggest downgrading the firmware back to Android 10, until Asus releases an update that works.

Be aware that downgrading the firmware will format the phone, and erase the data.

Cheers!

(Fixed) Asus ROG Phone 3: Kunai 3 gamepad not working due to Android 11
I found this Post, and one of the user mentioned that it is the Android 11 'Accessibility' setting cause the issue,
for my case, I disable the 'TalkBack Shortcut' option, the control working fine now, the weird behavior i mentioned above not happening anymore.
Better Workaround Fix:
Accessibility > TalkBack > TalkBack Shortcut (Turn Off)
This fixed my issue but still this is just a workaround, Even though I never use the TalkBack Function but I hope Asus will provide a more proper fix and solution for this issue.
As for @ARP_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS Asus Support, I hope you guys could really look into this matter.
So far 5 months of using this phone, I really grateful that I don't experience any of the issue mentioned in this forum so far but only this Kunai 3 Controller issue been disturbing my Genshin Impact Gaming Session, now it kind of resolved for my case
but Asus Support, please take this Kunai 3 Controller software issue into serious consideration. Thank you.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@Slnn3R You can help us out with a device log for this one, please check your inbox for a PM from me. 🤗

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Gustav_ASUS

@Slnn3R You can help us out with a device log for this one, please check your inbox for a PM from me. 🤗

View post
@Gustav_ASUS i try to turn on the Accessibility Talkback feature, and try to reproduce the issue, surprisingly no matter what I do, I cant reproduce the issue anymore