This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential cause of completely dead Rog5 phones

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
First of all I want to mention this is a theory, but it seems to be rather solid and would like to ask people to give some information regarding their Rog5 phones death.
So as you guys know it isnt exacly unusual to kill your Rog5, every time one of these phones die they have been shorted. Today I had a talk with a guy on my discord and I explained to him how the modes work on a charger and a phone, however I was unsure which voltages the Rog3 supported so I took a look on the charger and there I found a potential culprit for our issue.
It seems the charger supports 20v mode, which is way to much for any phone to handle to my knowledge, if a powersurge like that gets blasted through the phone no wonder it will destroy the power IC.
As some people know, there is a certain communication between a charger and a phone, meaning the phones IC will tell the charger which mode to use and the charger will comply, however if this communication messes up, it can result in a catastropihc failure, much like some people have experienced here.
In order to investigate a little more I would like Rog5 users with completely dead phones (not powering on, black screen) to tell me:
Did your phone die while charging?
Did you use the original Rog charger?
Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)
If this theory holds water then I strongly suggest you get yourself a charger that supports max voltage of 12v, I believe the 20v mode is reserved for ASUS's low end notebooks and is absolutely not intended for mobile phones.
This also goes for the Rog3 users, altho its very rare the rog3 dies from this, there have been cases where the rog3 would die while charging, i had 3 cases reported to me and all 3 had been while charging.
I will repeat this, this is merely a theory right now, so do not quote this as a fact until we got way more data on this.
27 REPLIES 27

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FunBike31

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/186696#Comment_186696

There are 3 types of charge provided, fast 65w, stable 30w and ultra stable 18w

Unfortunately, with firmware 151, the 3 options give the same measured charging time, the time indicated is very different depending on the selection.

I no longer use the Asus charger while waiting for a correction, a bug on the battery management is too important to be taken lightly. I am going to do more rigorous tests again starting from the same level of charge of 10% up to 80% to stay on a linear range with two different chargers, because I just saw that the Motorola charger of the G8 + is compatible with the dialogue of the Rog5 which indicates 15w, 12w, 9w depending on the selection, which is disturbing, because it is not supposed to know these values while the ASUS values could have been written in hard.

I will keep you posted in several days, it will make me play a lot to discharge the battery 6 times.

View post
If possible get a https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-USB-C-Power-Tester-Multimeter/dp/B01MT8MC3N Then you can measure exacly whats coming into the phone.

cotov666
Star III
FunBike31

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/186790#Comment_186790

Many reasons

- battery technology has evolved with the possibility for the OEM to control the types of loads, the bypass and more particularly for the Rog 5 with these two batteries that Android does not yet know. (like dual SIM at the start).

- Rare are the applications which are compatible with these new technologies and the diiferent types of measurements and values ​​returned by the devices to the applications (mA, uA, inverted, etc.), others are not standard on some devices ( Samsung is a good example)

- Ampère announces these limits quite clearly, moreover, it is really not the best application for the Rog 5, try 3C Battery Manager if you want a much more compatible and low-resource application

- Other applications are coded with the feet, use a high load of resources.

- None of these applications can detect a faulty charger that will send the wrong voltage for example.

- In short, I prefer an Android as clean as possible and use a USB tester which takes the information directly from the charger.

View post
Don't know about this man, I use cool tool, I can pretty clearly see the differences in current of the steady charge modes and bypass in real time. Not the voltage though, that's true.

thaspitefulwun
Star III
Did your phone die while charging? - Yes
Did you use the original Rog charger? - Yes, and cord
Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this) - Yes
Phone dead as a doornail after being on the charger for 15 minutes. Hot as a flame to hold. Not turning on at all. Oddly enough yesterday I used my USB tester after reading this post out of curiosity. I took some pictures but they are on the dead phone lol.
regardless of mode (Unrestricted, steady, or ultra steady) charger always put out 16V-17V.
The main fluctuation was the amps. These pics are old, I posted them on XDA awhile back. These pics reflect the ultra steady option only. Like I said, other pics are on the dead ROG 5.
Hopefully this helps narrow down where the problem is.

thaspitefulwun
Star III
Gotta love automatic backups of photos and data lol.
Here you go.

Roystoys
Zen Master III
ZT-6ba223c6

Just a side note that might be totally wrong or just a coincidence.. I could ask a mod to delete this comment if it's totally unrelated but many issues I saw were only with CN -> WW converted devices.

I can only speak about XDA but the very large majority (actually all I saw, but not all answered their phones origin) said they bought a CN -> WW converted phone. As said maybe this is just a coincidence but a software issue in that convertion might eventually have something to do with the phone requesting for more voltage - especially since CN versions are shipped everywhere in the world + they are cheaper.

Of course here are many use cases with WW versions as well - so it might be bullshit - but it seemed suspicious to me a few months ago.

View post
I wouldn't discount myself so quickly friend,I have had strange behaviour when either using a phone that's been flashed prior delivery with a WW OS ,and equally strange behaviour when I updated my Zen 7 with a CN version instead of a WW version.
Personally I think you may be onto something ☺️