Fritzfreak
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus Rog Phone 5
Firmware Version:  WW-18.0840.2109.176
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: First time happened
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Not app specific
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Good day, i bought my phone in May and did not have any issues with it whatsoever since then however yesterday the phone overheated and it shut down by itself for some reason while i was playing the game League of Legends Wildrift on my phone while also listening to some music .
I never had this issue before while playing the game or on any app for that matter but i am concerned that the phone just died, i need some help here.
The phone got too hot to touch so i grabbed some gloves and left it close to a fan to cool down . I wanted to ask is this a problem with the ROG Phone 5 phones because of the Snapdragon 855 chip ? I never had overheating issues on this phone but i don't understand why it suddenly had this at such a random time... the game that i mentioned had the same settings ever since i started playing on the first week of may when i downloaded it so that is obviously not the problem here .
What should i do next and is there any chance i can get a replacement phone for this or at least my money back in case that's not possible ?
I barely have like 6 months since the phone was bought and i still have the warranty of 24 months valid so I am asking what is the next step here... thank you !

7 REPLIES 7

ZT-6ba223c6
Rising Star I
No you won't get your money back but it will be repaired when you bring it to the service center. The Snapdragon 888 (not 855) likely caused this. Not your fault unless you played while charging.

Gaiden
Star III
Rog 5 is all about luck, unlike Rog 2 and 3 it's not limited with only one issue. The issue arise even not immediately but later. For now submit the phone at the service centre if problem still persist or else sell it and move to other gaming phone like Blackshark or Nubia. The only drawback with those is that the software updates are kinda slow compared to Rog but in the end they are better because their quality control is much much better.

Gaiden
Star III
And lastly overheating is normal as 888 draws a lot of power which is too much already for that small body to contain the heat and to dissipate it properly.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
@Fritzfreak
Did you have the device connected to the charger? in Charge or By-Pass mode