cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog 5s, 3G shutdown VoLTE

EFT_EOD
Star I

Hi, I have a Rog 5s

I have the latest version and have enable VoLTE and done everything that has been asked of by my provider. "Telstra"

I have gone into phone settings and tried changing stuff but it is clear that Rog 5s makes only calls on 3G.

It still doesn't work, so I'm guessing this is an Asus problem that they hope they can ignore and it will just go away?

14 REPLIES 14

joel0
Star I

Screenshot_20240930-125439371.jpg

 As you can see my ROG phone 5s is working with an optus Sim but not Woolworths... I contacted Woolworths support and I'll report back what they say.

Not working with Woolworths mobile

Screenshot_20240930-125714135.jpg

If your not aware, there are only 3 mobile tower providers in Australia (Telstra, Optus and Vodafone). The Woolworths mobile network piggybacks on the Telstra network, thus you cannot get over 3G mobile calls. Unfortunately, there is no data source saying which plans belong to which cellular provider, a quick google search can tell you which of the three use which towers in Australia. 

If you find a plan that suits your needs, make sure to do a quick google as to which towers they use. Unfortunately in your case, it does mean you won't be able to use Woolworths after the deadline as its using telstra

As for your question earlier, I am on a 5S aswell, specifically the 5S 512GB 16GB model. I'm just as disappointed as you are, and I have talked to Asus and Telstra about the issue. They do point at each other saying they can because of the other, but the other main issues is Asus said the 5s is no longer getting updates and they dont plan to add VoLTE support.

romulex
Star II

So I decided because there isn't any source online showing all the telco providers together, I would make a very quick table. I guess if anyone else needs it, this can help them too get an understanding on which providers use which towers.telco towers.png
I am almost sure I missed a few, but from a 20-30 minute search, these are the ones I found

Thats awesome! thanks for that. I'm planning to switch to the Optus network if Telstra isn't supported in the next 15 days, but I'm kind of spewing that I wont get the 10% a shop each month with woolies. Oh well! It is wild that we could be having this issue with a phone purchased less than 2 years ago.